Clothing timeframes?

  • Michelle
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 31, 2007
      Greetings. I have read so many sites quoting one thing or another
      that I think I've generally confused myself. lol Some sites I have
      come across state that the arisaid came at the end, but still during,
      the 16th c. while others state that it didn't come about until the
      17th. The same goes for the ringed brooch and the penannular brooch,
      I'm getting widely different time frames. Some telling me that
      penannular brooches is what they fastened arisaid's with, while others
      state that penannular brooches were to early and that they in fact
      used ringed brooches. And not to mention the kertch, ack!

      Now I am exceptionally new to the SCA (haven't even participated in an
      event as of yet) but I am doing as much research as possible because I
      want to create as authentic persona and clothing as I can. I have
      looked at several Scottish reenactor's and renn sites hoping for
      examples of types of clothing, but it seems to me that alot of what
      they are claiming was definately worn during the 16th C, was in fact
      later or is a common misconseption. My point in this plee for help is
      can anyone more learned than I tell me if they know when these
      previously listed things came about or any ideas for general garbing
      concerning an outfit? I'm pretty open to specific time frame as long
      as it falls before the 17th, however I really would like to wear an
      arisaid and be somewhere highland. As far as social standing what I'm
      aiming for is more of a country/farming character, having land, so
      definately not nobility but not a beggar type either.

      Sorry for the lenghthy post but I'm running in circles and confused
      myself. lol I sincerely hope I don't annoy anyone w/ what may be an
      idiotic question to some but thank you for any potential help, it
      would be much appreciated.

      Michelle (no persona name as of yet)