RE: [albanach] Help with Gaelic

  • SCABeathog
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 23, 2007
      Thanks so much! I really like your expression of my sentiment. As far as
      it having a pleasant sound in Gaelic, I'll have to take your word for that
      (unless you can provide me with a phonetic pronunciation as well). :-)

      I would love to be able to learn to speak Gaelic. I have tried several
      times to use a few online sources, but, it's not the same as face-to-face,
      is it?

      Beathog

      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 23, 2007
        I am attempting to create my own device and am looking for the
        Gaelic/Irish version of fortune or good fortune, as my device includes
        a sea-horse, which I know is the heraldic representation of good luck
        or fortune in a voyage. My persona is a sea merchant. I have looked
        online, but am stymied, as there does not seem to be any direct
        translation of the word fortune. Can anyone assist me with this
        verbiage? Thanks in advance,

        Rowen of SouthKeep
        Shire Hospitaller
        Trimaris
        Bo'sun on the Midnight Rose

        --- In albanach@yahoogroups.com, Shelton Browder <ebrowder@...> wrote:

        > In modern Scottish Gaelic, it would be
        >
        > coille-fhithich
        >
        > Phonetically it would be (roughly) cull-yuh ee-ich. The"ich"
        pronunced as it
        > would be in German.
        >
        > Coille; wood is a feminine word and lenites fitheach and then the
        "fh" goes
        > silent. The "th" in the middle of fiteach is silend any way. The
        possesive
        > case changes the ending of fitheach to the "ich". Thus you get
        > coille-fhithich, wood of a raven or wood of ravens.
        >
        > This is modern Scottish Gaelic and Sharon may well have much better
        advice for
        > your period.
        >
        > Beannachd leibh,
        > Shel

      • Nancy Carr Zupanic
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 24, 2007
          Thank you so kindly to all of you who replied to this problem. I am
          forwarding all replies to the gentleman in question in hopes that he will
          decide on a more period name.

          Thank you!

          Doireann