Medieval Times at Bunratty Castle & Folk Park

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 27, 2007
      Medieval Times at Bunratty Castle & Folk Park

      Medieval Festival to create mayhem and merriment

      June 30th July 1st 2007

      Medieval Warriors will invade Bunratty Castle and Folk Park, Co. Clare,
      on Saturday 30 June and Sunday 1st July '07 for what promises to be a
      Medieval Festival of mayhem and fun. Fighting is expected to be hot and
      heavy but unlike historic battles of yesteryear there will be no blood
      spilt.

      The re-enactment event with, over 60 medieval warriors from Ireland,
      Wales and England, will literally move into the Folk Park grounds, close
      to the Castle for the weekend. To create a real sense of living
      conditions at that time the re-enactors will work, cook, eat, fight and
      sleep on site.

      There will be a treat in store for the younger visitors who will get an
      opportunity to see the Noel Lambert Puppet Theatre perform " Dinin & the
      naughty dog" in the Folk Park on Saturday 30th June and on Sunday the
      1St of July from 2.00 pm until 4.00 pm.

      A tented medieval encampment is being erected to house the Warriors as
      would have been the custom. Soldiers who were guarding a castle would
      have been housed in tents nearby. Just like their medieval counterparts
      these Warriors won't have the luxury of modern conveniences, so there
      will be no showers or electric light.

      "With medieval battles, a tented medieval village, and with craft
      workers displaying skills from medieval times, we intend to give
      visitors an opportunity to step back in time and witness first hand what
      living conditions were like for people in medieval times", says John
      King, Heritage and Tourism Director, Shannon Development.

      The Fingal Living History Society, wearing traditional armour, will be
      joined at Bunratty Castle by re-enactors from England and Wales dressed
      in full fighting costumes.

      With over ten years of experience in staging re-enactments, the Fingal
      Living History group will bring a lot of fun, knowledge and expertise to
      the spectacle. They enjoy nothing better than interacting with the
      public to answer any questions they may have about this colourful period
      in history. The Group has won several awards including Best Living
      History Display at Battlefest, in Palace Stables, Armagh as well as Best
      Re-Enactment Display. The medieval festival programme will include
      regular demonstrations of fighting techniques.

      Visitors to Bunratty Castle and Folk Park will be given a unique
      opportunity to step back in time to witness life in a medieval village.
      The group of re-enactors, dressed in authentic medieval costume, are
      planning to recreate village life in medieval times, adding colour and
      spectacle to the festivities.

      A colourful Medieval tented village will provide displays including
      Bone Carving, Leather Work, Children's Games, Weapons Display, Armour
      Display , Chain Mail Making, Shield making, Bronze Casting, Coin Making,
      Finger Braiding, and Wood Work..

      Tablet weaving, a form of weaving which goes back to approx. 1000 BC.,
      will also be on display. It is typically used to make long narrow trim
      for clothing or is used to finish the edge of plain-woven cloth.

      There will also be a Cooking Site where traditional cooking methods will
      be demonstrated including, bread making and roasting a pig on a spit.

      The action packed event will take place at Bunratty Castle on Saturday
      June 30th and Sunday July 1st from 11.00 am until 5.00 pm. Medieval
      Warriors, in full armour, will demonstrate their fighting skills. In
      addition to this there will be two main battles at 12 noon and 4.00 pm
      daily, with smaller battles, and one on one combat throughout the day.

      The events are open to the public, and will be an addition to the
      regular visitor attractions at Bunratty Castle and Folk Park, there will
      be no extra charge for these events and family tickets will be available.

    • Julie Stackable
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 28, 2007
        I had to chuckle when I saw this - I was just at Bunratty last week -
        so of course they are doing this *now*. But I can definitely give
        Bunratty thumbs up. They've imported cottages from all over Ireland
        showing a slice of life of a number of financial levels - from the
        gentry to the pig farmer. Costumed re-enactors were fairly silly -
        bad polyster dresses with sparkly trim & tennis shoes, but it was
        still a lovely setting.

        I would strongly recommend the nearby Craugennowen project - a
        reconstruction of an Iron Age Crannog - plus they have a ring fort
        and live boars! It is in a lovely wooded setting and included parent
        and baby swans in the lake around the crannog.

        Ireland was gorgeous, but for god's sake don't fly domestic - we had
        a nightmare getting there & back - save your pennies for British
        Airways or Virgin Atlantic.

        Also, I've been putting this on every list I belong to (much to
        everyone's annoyance, I'm sure) but if you have even a twinkling of
        an idea of going overseas, apply for your passports now. The US
        Passport office is literally about 6 months behind due to the new
        requirements and it is a nightmare to get one - EVEN if you pay the
        expedite - we almost missed our trip because of it.

        Jetlagged,
        Margaret Hepburn
      • Pixie Rose
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 29, 2007
          By domestic, do you mean Aer Lingus? I am going to Ireland in October and we
          are flying Aer Lingus out of Orlando, FL. I live in Miami, so the location
          is everything. What type of problems did you encounter?

          By sister and niece applied for their passports over two months ago. We hope
          to have them back before October, lol. Fortunately, I have mine from the
          last time I was in Ireland in 2005.

          Cheers!

        • Julie Stackable
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 25 9:35 AM
            --- In albanach@yahoogroups.com, "Pixie Rose" <pixierosedragon@...> wrote:

            > By domestic, do you mean Aer Lingus? I am going to Ireland in
            October and we
            > are flying Aer Lingus out of Orlando, FL. I live in Miami, so the
            location
            > is everything. What type of problems did you encounter?

            No, by domestic, I meant US Airlines. We had problems with US Airways
            and Delta going and coming back. It was just not fun.
            > By sister and niece applied for their passports over two months ago.
            We hope
            > to have them back before October, lol. Fortunately, I have mine from the
            > last time I was in Ireland in 2005.
            >
            > Cheers!

            Good luck with your trip, I'm sure you will have a great time & I hope
            everyone gets their passports in time!