13 century wedding

  • thereelrubbaduckee
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 4, 2007
      What would an old maid, impoverished gentility, in 13th century
      scotland have worn to a wedding, either her own or someone elses?? in
      germany it's sometimes hard to impossible to get specific information
      as this, although the medieval reenactment scene is quite big. And all
      those scottish "clans" popping up dont know a lot &/or often dont care
      about authenticity.(someone said they all look like british schoolgirls
      w their Marks&Spencer skirts) just pictures alone would be very
      helpful. Thank you very much!
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 4, 2007
        At 06:42 AM 6/4/2007, you wrote:
        >What would an old maid, impoverished gentility, in 13th century
        >scotland have worn to a wedding, either her own or someone elses?? in
        >germany it's sometimes hard to impossible to get specific information
        >as this, although the medieval reenactment scene is quite big. And all
        >those scottish "clans" popping up dont know a lot &/or often dont care
        >about authenticity.(someone said they all look like british schoolgirls
        >w their Marks&Spencer skirts) just pictures alone would be very
        >helpful. Thank you very much!

        My understanding is that folks just wore their "best," whatever it
        happened to be, and that there wasn't special garb just for weddings,
        but I'll let the experts confirm that :-).

        YiS,
        Dreiburgen Web Minister http://www.dreiburgen.org
      • Julie Stackable
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 9, 2007
          --- In albanach@yahoogroups.com, Muirghein <wolfestead@...> wrote:

          > At 06:42 AM 6/4/2007, you wrote:
          > >What would an old maid, impoverished gentility, in 13th century
          > >scotland have worn to a wedding, either her own or someone elses??
          in
          > >germany it's sometimes hard to impossible to get specific
          information
          > >as this, although the medieval reenactment scene is quite big. And
          all
          > >those scottish "clans" popping up dont know a lot &/or often dont
          care
          > >about authenticity.(someone said they all look like british
          schoolgirls
          > >w their Marks&Spencer skirts) just pictures alone would be very
          > >helpful. Thank you very much!
          >
          > My understanding is that folks just wore their "best," whatever it
          > happened to be, and that there wasn't special garb just for
          weddings,
          > but I'll let the experts confirm that :-).
          >
          > YiS,
          > Baintighearna Muirghein Dhaire Faoilciarach /|\

          I'll have to marginally concur with Muirghein on this one. I say
          marginally because all my info is 16th century. Brides did get new
          clothes if they could afford them - there are wardrobe accts in the
          16th century which specify cloth bought for bridal clothes. Mary
          Queen of Scots gave her ladies fabric from her stores for wedding
          clothes. But, those clothes would have then been later worn. Even
          Victorian ladies did this...wedding clothes became best clothes for
          later....

          Don't know if that's much help...