ROBERT WISHART

  • pubd2b
    Message 1 of 3 , May 17, 2007
      ROBERT WISHART,
      BISHOP OF GLASGOW 1271-1316

      According to all I have found, this medieval bishop's dates are as
      posted above as to his office as bishop. I am trying to discover his
      age therefore, when was he born? Hoping someone has a book or access
      to something with his actual birth date.

      Thanks!
    • Bruce Gordon
      Message 2 of 3 , May 17, 2007
        Greetings

        It would be very unusual for someone in Wishart's time to have their precise birthday recorded, and no reference I have seen of him gives any indication as such of how old he was. In cases like these, the best one normally can do is make an educated guess - he was blind and infirm at his death in 1316, and regarded as an old man by contemporaries; normal lifespan for males reaching adulthood and not involved in incessant warfare in the 14th century was roughly 50-60 years. He was an adult when he was made bishop in 1271; clerics were generally given bishoprics pretty young by modern standards - 25 to 35 years old would be quite typical. So, I would assume he was born in the 1240's, probably 1245-50. A good biographical sketch of him can be found at:

        http://www.rcag.org.uk/Archives/H3.htm

        Cordially;
        Nigel FitzMaurice

        Message 3 of 3 , May 17, 2007
          pubd2b wrote:

          >ROBERT WISHART,
          >BISHOP OF GLASGOW 1271-1316
          >
          >According to all I have found, this medieval bishop's dates are as posted above as to his office as bishop. I am trying to discover his age therefore, when was he born? Hoping someone has a book or access to something with his actual birth date.

          ~The document I found listing his birthdate is on:
          http://www.lib.rochester.edu/camelot/teams/wallnts.htm
          65 Byschope Robert. Robert Wishart, bishop of Glasgow (1261-1316), a
          staunch defender of Scottish independence.

          Hope this helps.
          Diana

          www.dianacosby.com
          Zebra/November 07/His Captive