Lord of Misrule

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 18, 2007
      I'm helping out another writer as their question about Scottish
      history is past my time frame:
      "This is their question please. I'm trying to nail down the timing
      (Christmas, May Day, Candlemas, etc.) for the "Lord of Misrule" or
      "Abbot of Unreason" in early 15th c. Scotland (about which I know
      nothing). I've found lots of references, but with conflicting
      information -- does anybody know of a good solid source I can use to
      sort this out?"

      Thank you for your help.
      Diana

      www.dianacosby.com
      Zebra/November 07/His Captive
      Zebra/November 08/Title TBA
    • Julie Stackable
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 24, 2007
        --- In albanach@yahoogroups.com, Diana Cosby <wulfe6@...> wrote:
        > "This is their question please. I'm trying to nail down the
        timing
        > (Christmas, May Day, Candlemas, etc.) for the "Lord of Misrule" or
        > "Abbot of Unreason" in early 15th c. Scotland (about which I know
        > nothing). I've found lots of references, but with conflicting
        > information -- does anybody know of a good solid source I can use to
        > sort this out?"

        Diana,
        A _very_ brief perusal of the online Scots dictionary makes me lean
        towards May Day, but I will check a couple of other sources and see if
        they conflict or what....
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 24, 2007
          At 7:30 PM -0400 4/18/07, Diana Cosby wrote:
          > I'm helping out another writer as their question about Scottish
          >history is past my time frame:
          > "This is their question please. I'm trying to nail down the timing
          >(Christmas, May Day, Candlemas, etc.) for the "Lord of Misrule" or
          >"Abbot of Unreason" in early 15th c. Scotland (about which I know
          >nothing). I've found lots of references, but with conflicting
          >information -- does anybody know of a good solid source I can use to
          >sort this out?"

          I would look at Anna Jean Mill _Mediaeval Plays in Scotland_ (1924).
          A partial preview can be found at Google Books
          (http://books.google.com/books?vid=ISBN0405087896&id=IdV0ppb1YmcC&dq=Mill+mediaeval+plays+in+scotland&num=100),
          and sometimes copies at Amazon.com
          (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/088305406X/ref=nosim/medievalscotland).
          Also, many university libraries have a copy, and you usually don't
          need to be associated with a university to go in and look at their
          books.

          Also, I wouldn't assume that there was one and only one timing that
          applied either within a particular town or across all towns in
          Scotland -- the answer may well have varied depending on town, era,
          etc.

          Sharon Krossa, PhD - skrossa-ml@...
          Medieval Scotland - http://MedievalScotland.org/
          Shopping Online? Help support! - http://MedievalScotland.org/patron/
          The Medieval Names Archive - http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 24, 2007
            At 8:24 PM -0700 4/24/07, Sharon L. Krossa wrote:
            >At 7:30 PM -0400 4/18/07, Diana Cosby wrote:
            > > I'm helping out another writer as their question about Scottish
            > >history is past my time frame:
            > > "This is their question please. I'm trying to nail down the timing
            > >(Christmas, May Day, Candlemas, etc.) for the "Lord of Misrule" or
            > >"Abbot of Unreason" in early 15th c. Scotland (about which I know
            > >nothing). I've found lots of references, but with conflicting
            > >information -- does anybody know of a good solid source I can use to
            > >sort this out?"
            >
            >I would look at Anna Jean Mill _Mediaeval Plays in Scotland_ (1924).

            Some further suggestions. DSL-DOST s.v. Lord, n., sense 25
            (http://www.dsl.ac.uk/dsl/getent4.php?plen=220860&startset=32654919&query=Lord&fhit=In+the+mock+titles&dregion=sense&dtext=dost#fhit)
            lists some of the titles used in various places, and indicates they
            have entries of their own. So, browsing for "Bonaccord" (for the
            "Lord of Bonaccord", used in Aberdeen), I find:

            DSL-DOST Bon-Ac(c)ord, n. (sense 1)
            (http://www.dsl.ac.uk/dsl/getent4.php?plen=3558&startset=4132474&dtext=dost&query=Bon-acord)

            which describes the Lord of Bonaccord as active throughout the year,
            not just at a single time (which accords fairly well with what I
            recall in passing from my readings of the early 16th century Aberdeen
            Council Register). I don't find anything that clearly indicates
            whether this was the case for similar such characters elected in
            other towns.

            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 25, 2007
              Sharon L. Krossa wrote: I would look at Anna Jean Mill _Mediaeval Plays
              in Scotland_ (1924).

              >Some further suggestions. DSL-DOST s.v. Lord, n., sense 25
              >(http://www.dsl.ac.uk/dsl/getent4.php?plen=220860&startset=32654919&query=Lord&fhit=In+the+mock+titles&dregion=sense&dtext=dost#fhit)
              >lists some of the titles used in various places, and indicates they
              >have entries of their own. So, browsing for "Bonaccord" (for the
              >"Lord of Bonaccord", used in Aberdeen), I find:
              >
              >DSL-DOST Bon-Ac(c)ord, n. (sense 1)
              >(http://www.dsl.ac.uk/dsl/getent4.php?plen=3558&startset=4132474&dtext=dost&query=Bon-acord)
              >
              >which describes the Lord of Bonaccord as active throughout the year,
              >not just at a single time (which accords fairly well with what I
              >recall in passing from my readings of the early 16th century Aberdeen
              >Council Register). I don't find anything that clearly indicates
              >whether this was the case for similar such characters elected in
              >other towns.

              ~Thank you very much, Sharon, for your help. Have a nice day.

              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 25, 2007
                Julie Stackable wrote: A _very_ brief perusal of the online Scots
                dictionary makes me lean towards May Day, but I will check a couple of
                other sources and see if they conflict or what....

                ~Thanks for checking, Margaret. Have a nice day.