Proper pronunciation

  • pubd2b
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 4, 2007
      How does one properly say COMYN-- as in John Comyn, clan Comyn, etc.

      thanks so much!
    • Todd Wilkinson
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 4, 2007
        Like the modern version of the surname, Cumming.

        Regards,

        Todd Wilkinson
        Vice-President, Clan Cumming Society USA

        pubd2b <pubd2b@...> wrote:
        How does one properly say COMYN-- as in John Comyn, clan Comyn, etc.

        thanks so much!

        "Happy to meet, sorry to part, happy to meet once more!"
        -- The Bon Accord, motto of Aberdeen, Scotland

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 4, 2007
          Todd,

          I always thought it to be pronounced like "Come in," as in:
          knock-knock
          who's there?
          It's me!
          Oh, come in!

          ~M

          On 4/4/07, Todd Wilkinson <macwilkin_ktj@...> wrote:

          > Like the modern version of the surname, Cumming.
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > Todd Wilkinson
          > Vice-President, Clan Cumming Society USA
          >
          > pubd2b <pubd2b@... <pubd2b%40yahoo.com>> wrote:
          > How does one properly say COMYN-- as in John Comyn, clan Comyn, etc.
          >
          > thanks so much!
          >
          > "Happy to meet, sorry to part, happy to meet once more!"
          > -- The Bon Accord, motto of Aberdeen, Scotland

          Matthew A. C. Newsome, FSA Scot
          Curator of the Scottish Tartans Museum
          Member of the Guild of Tartan Scholars
          Homepage: http://www.albanach.org

        • Todd Wilkinson
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 4, 2007
            Matt,

            Matt, that little story you told actually is one of the legends of the origin of the surname! <grin>

            T.