Clothing info I have found

  • pubd2b
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 2, 2007
      I have found three different names for clothing in other books, but do
      not know if it fits into the medieval era.

      1. leine
      2. bliaut
      3. trewes

      Could someone set me straight?
      thanks!

      kc
    • Kevin Myers
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 2, 2007
        --- pubd2b <pubd2b@...> wrote:

        > I have found three different names for clothing in other books, but
        > do
        > not know if it fits into the medieval era.
        >
        > 1. leine
        > 2. bliaut
        > 3. trewes

        Greetings!

        And, yes,
        They all fit into the medieval era, the leine is gaelic (Irish and
        Scottish)of varying styles throughout the medieval period (tight
        fitting sleaves early and large floppy sleaves by the late 16th cent).
        The bliaut is more anglo-normanish (like, 8th to 12th cent? I'm not
        sure). And by trewes, are you thinking of the tighter fitting kind?
        There are depictions in the book of Kells of men wearing triubhas
        (gaelic sp. of trewes) of varying length (knee to ankle).

        Has anyone mentioned the work of H.F. McClintock to you yet? If you are
        lucky enough to find it in a library, look for "Old Irish and Highland
        Dress".

        Sla/n leibh,

        -Cainnech ruad mcGuairi, OL

        http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265