Re: 315 years ago this morning

  • adavidwatson
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 14, 2007
      --- In albanach@yahoogroups.com, Muirghein <wolfestead@...> wrote:

      > Forgot to post this earlier.
      >
      > In the early morning hours of 13 Feb 1619, men led by Captain Robert
      > Campbell violated the hospitality of the MacDonalds of Glencoe by
      > slaying (or causing to die of exposure) 78 men, women and children.
      >
      > http://www.electricscotland.com/history/glencoe/
      >
      > http://www.rampantscotland.com/features/glencoe.htm
      >
      > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massacre_of_Glencoe
      >
      > In Service to Many Dreams,
      > Baintighearna Muirghein Dhaire Faoilciarach /|\
      > Dreiburgen Web Minister http://www.dreiburgen.org
      > (any posts to e-mail lists do not reflect official
      > opinions unless specifically stated otherwise)

      On behalf of my Campbell Clansmen we're really sorry about that.
    • Scott Galloway
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 15, 2007
        I remember that the person really responsible for the incident was the Earl of Stair, Secretary of State for Scotland. Whatever was his fate?
        Scott

        adavidwatson <adavidwatson@...> wrote:
        --- In albanach@yahoogroups.com, Muirghein <wolfestead@...> wrote:

        > Forgot to post this earlier.
        >
        > In the early morning hours of 13 Feb 1619, men led by Captain Robert
        > Campbell violated the hospitality of the MacDonalds of Glencoe by
        > slaying (or causing to die of exposure) 78 men, women and children.
        >
        > http://www.electricscotland.com/history/glencoe/
        >
        > http://www.rampantscotland.com/features/glencoe.htm
        >
        > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massacre_of_Glencoe
        >
        > In Service to Many Dreams,
        > Baintighearna Muirghein Dhaire Faoilciarach /|\
        > Dreiburgen Web Minister http://www.dreiburgen.org
        > (any posts to e-mail lists do not reflect official
        > opinions unless specifically stated otherwise)

        On behalf of my Campbell Clansmen we're really sorry about that.

      • Julie Stackable
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 16, 2007
          --- In albanach@yahoogroups.com, Scott Galloway <kiapswg@...> wrote:

          > I remember that the person really responsible for the incident was
          the Earl of Stair, Secretary of State for Scotland. Whatever was his
          fate?
          > Scott

          Wiki and a couple of other sites say he received a mild reprimand and
          that was all. He died in 1707.