315 years ago this morning

    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 13, 2007
      Forgot to post this earlier.

      In the early morning hours of 13 Feb 1619, men led by Captain Robert
      Campbell violated the hospitality of the MacDonalds of Glencoe by
      slaying (or causing to die of exposure) 78 men, women and children.

      http://www.electricscotland.com/history/glencoe/

      http://www.rampantscotland.com/features/glencoe.htm

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massacre_of_Glencoe

      In Service to Many Dreams,
      Dreiburgen Web Minister http://www.dreiburgen.org
    • Shelton Browder
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 14, 2007
        And Campbell died four years later of shame and alcohol, havng carried out the
        orders of his superiors.

        Shel

        Quoting Muirghein <wolfestead@...>:

        > Forgot to post this earlier.
        >
        > In the early morning hours of 13 Feb 1619, men led by Captain Robert
        > Campbell violated the hospitality of the MacDonalds of Glencoe by
        > slaying (or causing to die of exposure) 78 men, women and children.
        >
        > http://www.electricscotland.com/history/glencoe/
        >
        > http://www.rampantscotland.com/features/glencoe.htm
        >
        > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massacre_of_Glencoe
        >
        > In Service to Many Dreams,
        > Baintighearna Muirghein Dhaire Faoilciarach /|\
        > Dreiburgen Web Minister http://www.dreiburgen.org
        > (any posts to e-mail lists do not reflect official
        > opinions unless specifically stated otherwise)

        Shel
      • archie bain
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 14, 2007
          I believe Robert Campbell is buried in Glen Lyon near
          where the old Yew Tree grows
          Archie
          --- Shelton Browder <ebrowder@...> wrote:

          > And Campbell died four years later of shame and
          > alcohol, havng carried out the
          > orders of his superiors.
          >
          > Shel
          >
          > Quoting Muirghein <wolfestead@...>:
          >
          > > Forgot to post this earlier.
          > >
          > > In the early morning hours of 13 Feb 1619, men led
          > by Captain Robert
          > > Campbell violated the hospitality of the
          > MacDonalds of Glencoe by
          > > slaying (or causing to die of exposure) 78 men,
          > women and children.
          > >
          > > http://www.electricscotland.com/history/glencoe/
          > >

          > http://www.rampantscotland.com/features/glencoe.htm
          > >
          > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massacre_of_Glencoe
          > >
          > > In Service to Many Dreams,
          > > Baintighearna Muirghein Dhaire Faoilciarach /|\
          > > Dreiburgen Web Minister
          > http://www.dreiburgen.org
          > > (any posts to e-mail lists do not reflect official
          > > opinions unless specifically stated otherwise)
          > >

          > Shel

          All New Yahoo! Mail – Tired of unwanted email come-ons? Let our SpamGuard protect you. http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html
        • Julie Stackable
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 14, 2007
            --- In albanach@yahoogroups.com, Muirghein <wolfestead@...> wrote:
            > In the early morning hours of 13 Feb 1619, men led by Captain Robert
            > Campbell violated the hospitality of the MacDonalds of Glencoe by
            > slaying (or causing to die of exposure) 78 men, women and children.

            Well! Happy Valentine's Day to you too! (grin). By the way, you bumped
            that up a few years, I believe you had a typing slip there... that
            should have been 1692. I wonder if that was on a Friday?

            Cheers,
            Margaret Hepburn
          • Julie Stackable
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 14, 2007
              --- In albanach@yahoogroups.com, "Julie Stackable" <malvoisine@...>
              wrote:

              > --- In albanach@yahoogroups.com, Muirghein <wolfestead@> wrote:
              > > In the early morning hours of 13 Feb 1619, men led by Captain
              Robert
              > > Campbell violated the hospitality of the MacDonalds of Glencoe by
              > > slaying (or causing to die of exposure) 78 men, women and children.
              >
              > Well! Happy Valentine's Day to you too! (grin). By the way, you
              bumped
              > that up a few years, I believe you had a typing slip there... that
              > should have been 1692. I wonder if that was on a Friday?

              Never mind - perpetual calendar shows it was a Saturday. I was just
              curious....*I* don't have triskadecaphobia....
              Margaret
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 14, 2007
                At 09:04 AM 2/14/2007, Margaret Hepburn wrote:
                >--- In albanach@yahoogroups.com, Muirghein <wolfestead@...> wrote:
                > > In the early morning hours of 13 Feb 1619, men led by Captain Robert
                > > Campbell violated the hospitality of the MacDonalds of Glencoe by
                > > slaying (or causing to die of exposure) 78 men, women and children.
                >
                >Well! Happy Valentine's Day to you too! (grin). By the way, you bumped
                >that up a few years, I believe you had a typing slip there... that
                >should have been 1692. I wonder if that was on a Friday?

                Bad typist -- musta been dain bread from catching up on four days
                worth of being offline. Though how I turned 1692 into 1619... ;-). I
                got the 315 right, though :-).

                YiS,
                Dreiburgen Web Minister http://www.dreiburgen.org
              • Tinnian "Cutter" de La Hay
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 14, 2007
                  It's just sad that the Scots couldna' banned together a little better than the (PTOOO!) English did. History wouda' been a whole lot more interestin'. Cheers all!

                  Muirghein <wolfestead@...> wrote: Forgot to post this earlier.

                  In the early morning hours of 13 Feb 1619, men led by Captain Robert
                  Campbell violated the hospitality of the MacDonalds of Glencoe by
                  slaying (or causing to die of exposure) 78 men, women and children.

                  http://www.electricscotland.com/history/glencoe/

                  http://www.rampantscotland.com/features/glencoe.htm

                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massacre_of_Glencoe

                  In Service to Many Dreams,
                  Dreiburgen Web Minister http://www.dreiburgen.org

                  Tinnian "Cutter" de La Hay

                  [Insert witty intellectual quote here]

                  "Eviscerate the Proletariat!"

                • adavidwatson
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 14, 2007
                    --- In albanach@yahoogroups.com, Muirghein <wolfestead@...> wrote:

                    > Forgot to post this earlier.
                    >
                    > In the early morning hours of 13 Feb 1619, men led by Captain Robert
                    > Campbell violated the hospitality of the MacDonalds of Glencoe by
                    > slaying (or causing to die of exposure) 78 men, women and children.
                    >
                    > http://www.electricscotland.com/history/glencoe/
                    >
                    > http://www.rampantscotland.com/features/glencoe.htm
                    >
                    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massacre_of_Glencoe
                    >
                    > In Service to Many Dreams,
                    > Baintighearna Muirghein Dhaire Faoilciarach /|\
                    > Dreiburgen Web Minister http://www.dreiburgen.org
                    > (any posts to e-mail lists do not reflect official
                    > opinions unless specifically stated otherwise)

                    On behalf of my Campbell Clansmen we're really sorry about that.
                  • Scott Galloway
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 15, 2007
                      I remember that the person really responsible for the incident was the Earl of Stair, Secretary of State for Scotland. Whatever was his fate?
                      Scott

                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 16, 2007
                        --- In albanach@yahoogroups.com, Scott Galloway <kiapswg@...> wrote:

                        > I remember that the person really responsible for the incident was
                        the Earl of Stair, Secretary of State for Scotland. Whatever was his
                        fate?
                        > Scott

                        Wiki and a couple of other sites say he received a mild reprimand and
                        that was all. He died in 1707.