Re: Reintroducing wolves to the Highlands

  • Julie Stackable
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
      --- In albanach@yahoogroups.com, Muirghein <wolfestead@...> wrote:

      > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6310211.stm
      >
      > >Wild wolves 'good for ecosystems'
      > >Reintroducing wild wolves to the Scottish Highlands would help the
      > >local ecosystem, a study suggests.

      I wonder where they are going to get the wolves from? And who has to
      catch them and transport them? That sounds like a fun job...

      I know that most wolf species mate for life. I hope whomever they get
      to stock the wolves in Scotland doesn't break up family groups
      (anybody ever seen or read 'Never Cry Wolf' - great movie, great
      book).

      Toujours a vos ordres,
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
        At 08:19 AM 2/1/2007, Margaret Hepburn wrote:
        >--- Muirghein <wolfestead@...> wrote:
        > > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6310211.stm
        > >
        > > >Wild wolves 'good for ecosystems'
        > > >Reintroducing wild wolves to the Scottish Highlands would help the
        > > >local ecosystem, a study suggests.
        >
        >I wonder where they are going to get the wolves from? And who has to
        >catch them and transport them? That sounds like a fun job...
        >
        >I know that most wolf species mate for life. I hope whomever they get
        >to stock the wolves in Scotland doesn't break up family groups
        >(anybody ever seen or read 'Never Cry Wolf' - great movie, great
        >book).

        AFAIK, relocation efforts tend to work with packs, so they don't give
        the emigres a handicap right off by upsetting their social structure.

        Saw the movie, haven't read the book, but one look at my household
        name (see the email address) should show I'm not exactly neutral on
        the subject of wolves ;-).

        YiS,
        Dreiburgen Web Minister http://www.dreiburgen.org
      • rowen_g
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 1, 2007
          --- In albanach@yahoogroups.com, "Julie Stackable" <malvoisine@...> wrote:

          > --- In albanach@yahoogroups.com, Muirghein <wolfestead@> wrote:
          > >
          > > http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6310211.stm
          > >
          > > >Wild wolves 'good for ecosystems'
          > > >Reintroducing wild wolves to the Scottish Highlands would help the
          > > >local ecosystem, a study suggests.
          >
          > I wonder where they are going to get the wolves from? And who has to
          > catch them and transport them? That sounds like a fun job...
          >
          > I know that most wolf species mate for life. I hope whomever they get
          > to stock the wolves in Scotland doesn't break up family groups
          > (anybody ever seen or read 'Never Cry Wolf' - great movie, great
          > book).
          >
          > Toujours a vos ordres,
          > Margaret Hepburn

          Well, with US wolf-restoration, they were brought in from Canada, but
          I daresay the Baltic areas still have plenty.

          The white-tailed or sea-eagle was reintroduced into Scotland starting
          in 1975. I've been told* that when the chicks were brought over from
          Norway, an RAF jet was sent for them to minimalize the length of the
          trip.

          Rowen Brithwallt

          (also fond of wolves)

          * By a Scottish falconer who was working with rehabilitating a
          zoo-raised sea eagle, and who allowed me to put on a leather sleeve
          and glove and hold the lure when the eagle was released from the other
          side of a valley. She landed on my left forearm, and her wings
          outspanned my arms and wrapped all around my head and shoulders.
          Wonderful!