What's happened to this list?

  • Julie Stackable, SCA Margaret Hepburn
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 13, 2007
      Greetings all,
      I was just wondering what was happening to this list... has it died?
      It's never been a high traffic list, but lately has just, died.
      Introduced topics get almost no commentary. Is everyone having an
      attack of life; changed personas; stopped playing? What's up?

      We've recently moved to Caid again and I'm hoping to meet a few people
      from this list (waves to Dreiburgen at Muirghean)....

      But heck, I *like* this list - what's up?

      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 13, 2007
        As the guy who started this list, I can weigh in with what I've been up to
        -- definitely a case of real life taking prescidence.

        My wife and I are expecting our fourth child this summer. With three little
        ones running around, we simply have not had much time for eventing. I think
        we brought our youngest (who will be 5 this July) to a couple of events
        after we had her, but really I haven't had much time for SCA in the past few
        years.

        I'm still at the Scottish Tartans Museum, and our business there (in regards
        to the gift shop) has been booming, so I've been staying very busy with
        work. I've started actually making kilts now (of the 4 yard box pleated
        variety, c. 1790-1850 or so, so not within period for this list!).
        http://kilts.albanach.org
        That's kept be very busy, and continues to do so.

        Also, I've been working on a Masters of Theology degree in my spare time
        (ha!) and have completed the course work for that, and only have left my
        thesis. Again, that's kept me busy.

        Also, I teach a bi-weekly adult ed class in my parish... again, that's kept
        me busy!

        So with all that going on, both my SCA time and my time to goof around on
        the internet has died down considerably. I haven't been participating
        actively on most of the lists I am on, though I do read to keep up with what
        I can.

        --
        Matthew A. C. Newsome, FSA Scot
        Curator of the Scottish Tartans Museum

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 13, 2007
          Greeting to the List!

          I am sure part of the problem is that we are all on so many other lists,
          have so many other things like holidays going on, etc. Or perhaps no one
          had questions to ask or points to discuss.

          My lord and I have been thinking about putting on a Scottish Lowlands
          event. We need sources for researching food, clothing, customs, etc as
          well as a place to translate some of the terms we expect to encounter.
          This will be dated after the 1488 (89?) uprising.

          Any suggestions would be appreciated.

          My thanks,

          Lady Teckla MacNaughtan of Unicorn Meadow

        • ebrowder@widomaker.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 13, 2007
            Hi Margaret,

            I like the list too, even if I'm not in the SCA. In Nov and Dec, I work many
            hours of overtime and I'm just recovering. I finally got the bag hose made
            with red and white diced wool and in fact have worn out a pair.

            Beannachd leibh,
            Shel

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 13, 2007
              Julie Stackable, SCA Margaret Hepburn wrote: I was just wondering what
              was happening to this list... has it died? It's never been a high
              traffic list, but lately has just, died. Introduced topics get almost no
              commentary. Is everyone having an attack of life; changed personas;
              stopped playing? What's up? We've recently moved to Caid again and I'm
              hoping to meet a few people from this list (waves to Dreiburgen at
              Muirghean).... But heck, I *like* this list - what's up?

              ~Hi Margaret,
              It's been insane on this end, mostly in good ways. My husband is
              back from his tour in Iraq, I'm working on my next Scottish medieval and
              gearing up to market my first release, "His Captive," in November. :)
              Happy New Year!
              Diana Cosby

              www.dianacosby.com
              Zebra/November 07/His Captive
              Zebra/Release Date & Title TBA
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 13, 2007
                Matthew A. C. Newsome wrote: My wife and I are expecting our fourth
                child this summer. With three little ones running around, we simply have
                not had much time for eventing.

                ~A fourth child on the way, holy cow, congratulations! The last I
                heard, you were the happy dad of one. :) Congratulations on your family
                and attaining your Masters of Theology degree! Happy New Year!
                Diana

                www.dianacosby.com
                Zebra/November 07/His Captive
                Zebra/Release Date & Title TBA
              • Tinnian
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 13, 2007
                  Hi Margaret,

                  Still here. Mundane life's gotten in the way again. Will try to play the game as much as I can. Have a great weekend.

                  "Julie Stackable, SCA Margaret Hepburn" <malvoisine@...> wrote:
                  Greetings all,
                  I was just wondering what was happening to this list... has it died?
                  It's never been a high traffic list, but lately has just, died.
                  Introduced topics get almost no commentary. Is everyone having an
                  attack of life; changed personas; stopped playing? What's up?

                  We've recently moved to Caid again and I'm hoping to meet a few people
                  from this list (waves to Dreiburgen at Muirghean)....

                  But heck, I *like* this list - what's up?

                  Margaret Hepburn

                  Tinnian "Cutter" de La Haye

                  "Yea, though I walk thru the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for I have the stones to wear the kilt. Lo, the Devil doesn't want to get stomped by a guy in a skirt."

                  "Find Hondscioh a wife, my sheep have had enough!"

                • Nancy Carr Zupanic
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 13, 2007
                    Diana wrote:
                    > It's been insane on this end, mostly in good ways. My husband is
                    > back from his tour in Iraq, I'm working on my next Scottish medieval and
                    > gearing up to market my first release, "His Captive," in November. :)
                    > Happy New Year!

                    Your first release!!!! I'm so thrilled for you, and so excited!!

                    And Happy New Year to you too!

                    Doireann (formerly Muirgheal inghean Labhrain)
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 13, 2007
                      At 5:11 PM -0500 1/13/07, tecklameadow@... wrote:
                      >My lord and I have been thinking about putting on a Scottish Lowlands
                      >event. We need sources for researching food, clothing, customs, etc as
                      >well as a place to translate some of the terms we expect to encounter.
                      >This will be dated after the 1488 (89?) uprising.

                      Can't really help with food much, and while for Lowland clothing
                      there are tons of sources, they are mainly primary sources at this
                      stage (rather than nicely prepackaged secondary sources telling you
                      the answers easily) -- however a number of useful primary sources
                      have been published and various secondary works concerned with other
                      issues do include useful pictures of paintings and the like, if
                      you've a mind to do original research. That said, in general the
                      answer for Lowland clothing is pretty much like English clothing,
                      with relatively minor differences (e.g., no big differences as there
                      are with Highland clothing vs. English clothing).

                      As for translating terms, that's easy -- The Dictionary of the Scots
                      Language (DSL) is available free online at

                      http://www.dsl.ac.uk/

                      You want the DOST sections ("DOST and DOST Adds" -- the full version
                      of the Dictionary of the Older Scottish Tongue, which covers Scots up
                      to 1700), rather than the SND sections (which deal with Scots since
                      1700). The DSL is the equivalent of the OED for Scots -- it includes
                      not just definitions but dated examples, so you can figure out what
                      words meant what when.

                      For customs, sources will depend on what customs you're interested
                      in. Just in general, if you're not all that familiar with Scottish
                      history, that would be a good place to start. See the bibliography at

                      http://MedievalScotland.org/scotbiblio/

                      for some suggestions of general history books as well as some more
                      specialized ones and primary sources, etc.

                      I may be able to help with some more specific questions -- it depends
                      on whether what you want to know happens to be something I already
                      know or not ;-)

                      Sharon Krossa, Ph.D. <skrossa-ml@...>
                      Medieval Scotland - http://MedievalScotland.org/
                      Help support Medieval Scotland when you shop online!
                      http://MedievalScotland.org/patron/
                    • Julie Stackable, SCA Margaret Hepburn
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 14, 2007
                        Good Afternoon everyone!
                        Thanks for all the replies and not one person felt the need to
                        verbally smack me for my whinging! Yay! (grin). Sounds like
                        everyone's having 'exciting' lives right now. We're getting settled
                        in Las Vegas and really enjoying it. It is SO nice to live in a town
                        with resources again. Libraries here aren't so great, but ya gotta
                        take the good with the bad.

                        I've recently discovered UNLV has a masters program for Costume
                        Design, so I now have a purpose in life - finish up the last little
                        bits of my BA and get going on that (I know many on here are much
                        more highly educated than I, so don't cringe at me please).

                        I'm STILL working on my Lowlands info website. I have a lot of stuff
                        that can go up, but I have almost NO HTML skills, so I'm casting
                        about to find a person local who can help me get the stuff on line.

                        Wow! New babies, books published, trews made (grin). Makes me wonder
                        what the heck I've been doing for the last 6 months! Thanks for
                        letting me know everyone is alive and well. Maybe one of these days
                        I can come up with the perfect topic to spark interest. Congrats to
                        everyone on their various successes and triumphs.

                        Toujours a vos ordres,
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 17, 2007
                          Nancy Carr Zupanic wrote:

                          >Diana wrote:
                          >

                          >>It's been insane on this end, mostly in good ways. My husband is
                          >>back from his tour in Iraq, I'm working on my next Scottish medieval and
                          >>gearing up to market my first release, "His Captive," in November. :)
                          >>Happy New Year!
                          >>

                          >Your first release!!!! I'm so thrilled for you, and so excited!!

                          ~Thank you very much. My editor called yesterday with the release date
                          of my second Scottish medieval romantic suspense, November of 08. :)

                          >And Happy New Year to you too!

                          ~:) May it be your best. Take care,
                          Diana

                          www.dianacosby.com