Re: [albanach] Highland Women's dress/arisad

  • Callahan Patrick
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 12, 2006
      Greetings Lady Isabel

      Léine or plural is léinte pronounced (LAY-nah). This
      web site that might provide some help: The True Story
      of What the Irish Wore: Scottish: Highland Women’s
      Clothing

      http://www.reconstructinghistory.com

      I never have done much study on woman’s clothing
      myself, being of the male gender, so I may not be much
      help. I have read however about a female garment
      called the arisaid which seems to be a skirt and cloak
      all in one. It might be similar to the “Great Kilt”
      (properly referred to as a Fèileadh Mòr in Gaelic, I
      believe) worn by male highlanders, but I am not sure.

      Sincerely,
      Patrick Callahan

      HI All,

      I am really looking to find patterns/directions for
      traditional
      highland women's dress. I am planning to purchase
      McClintock's book
      and I have found a person who has a pattern for a
      traditional lenin
      (pardon the spelling please). I am very confused about
      all the pieces
      of clothing highland women might have worn and how
      they were worn.

      HELP!

      and thank you in advance for all your assistance.

      Isabel

    • leann157
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 22, 2006
        Dear Patrick,

        Thank you so much for your information. You are correct, they have wonderful
        information.

        Best Wishes,

        Isabel

        --- In albanach@yahoogroups.com, Callahan Patrick <callahanpatrick@...> wrote:

        > Greetings Lady Isabel
        >
        > Léine or plural is léinte pronounced (LAY-nah). This
        > web site that might provide some help: The True Story
        > of What the Irish Wore: Scottish: Highland Women's
        > Clothing
        >
        > http://www.reconstructinghistory.com
        >
        > I never have done much study on woman's clothing
        > myself, being of the male gender, so I may not be much
        > help. I have read however about a female garment
        > called the arisaid which seems to be a skirt and cloak
        > all in one. It might be similar to the "Great Kilt"
        > (properly referred to as a Fèileadh Mòr in Gaelic, I
        > believe) worn by male highlanders, but I am not sure.
        >
        > Sincerely,
        > Patrick Callahan
        >

        > HI All,
        >
        > I am really looking to find patterns/directions for
        > traditional
        > highland women's dress. I am planning to purchase
        > McClintock's book
        > and I have found a person who has a pattern for a
        > traditional lenin
        > (pardon the spelling please). I am very confused about
        > all the pieces
        > of clothing highland women might have worn and how
        > they were worn.
        >
        > HELP!
        >
        > and thank you in advance for all your assistance.
        >
        > Isabel
        >

        > (any posts to e-mail lists do not reflect official
        > opinions unless specifically stated otherwise)

        > The all-new Yahoo! Mail goes wherever you go - free your email address from your
        Internet provider. http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html

      • Callahan Patrick
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 23, 2006
          September 19 - International Talk Like A Pirate Day!

          Ye Be Quite Welcome Me Lass... If I May Be Of Further
          Service; Fear Not To Correspond With Me, Once Again…

          AVAST!
          Kreyze Padreyk