Basic question

  • Bridget
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 28, 2006
      Hi, I'm new here and I know this information is probably in the
      archives somewhere, but . . .

      I want to make a great kilt for my dh. Does anyone have a favorite
      site that explains the process incuding clear pictures?

      (I already know that they are VERY late period and they are basically
      a big piece of fabric belted and wrapped a certain way.)

      Also, what basic shirt styles would be appropriate with it?

      brighid
    • Callahan Patrick
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1, 2006
        Here is the site I used "How to Wrap the Great Kilt".
        It has clear photographic instructions.

        http://www.tartanweb.com/greatkilt/

        A great kilt is basically a 60 inch (salvage to
        salvage) piece of plaid. Some times two narrower
        pieces are sewn together this is more historically
        accurate (25 sewn to 25 for fifty which is common
        width in the time period or 30 sewn to 30 for the full
        60). They are typically between 4 and 6 yard wide,
        either hemmed or hemmed to fringe. Some times they
        are fringed all the way around, which looks great but
        is a lot of work.

        Tartans of the time likely more closely resembled a
        checkered table cloth than the tartans of today.
        Tartans like Northumberland, Rob Roy, Moncrieff, Gow
        Clan and Shepherd's Plaid are the closest to the old
        tartans and are often commercially available. Robin
        Hood and Braveheart are fanciful tartans that maintain
        the old style.

        The earliest mention of the great kilt according to
        Matthew A. C. Newsome (of
        http://albanach.org/quair.html from SCOTTISH ARTICLES)
        comes from the Life of Red Hugh OÂ’Donnell, written in
        Irish Gaelic in 1594. He described the great kilt as
        an outer garment worn over a tunic called a leine.
        Numerous sources and patterns exist for making a 16th
        century leine. Commonly called a saffron shirt, though
        they were in fact full length tunic, leine are often
        referred to a pleated or having pleated skirts though
        this is hardly true of every such garment.

        Here are some possible links for the shirt, but there
        are many others.

        1.) http://www.garbtheworld.com/items/g0003.shtml

        2.)
        http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/irish/patterns.html