Re: [albanach] Re: Newbie

  • Erick Maxskelly
    Message 1 of 34 , Aug 9, 2006
      Also, given surnames for individuals were still pretty uncommon during the
      period you are interested in, a shorter descriptive name such as 'Thomas le
      Cotelair' or Thomas the Knifemaker would also be acceptable.

      --
      Ld. Earik MacSkellie
      Squire to Sir Galem Lionel Ostwestly

    • loch
      Message 34 of 34 , Sep 23, 2009
        ...there was an upstart little SCAdian who thought he
        could buck several hundred years worth of history and
        name himself whatever he wanted, from whatever period
        time he wanted in Scotland. He was willful and ignorant.

        Then he read some books. Did a little research. Talked
        with many people. And soon realized that certain people
        on a certain yahoo board were right all along. That the
        time period he wanted to play in (late 13th into early
        14th century), in the place he wanted play (Scottish
        Lowlands), was in fact, predominantly Scoto-Norman. That
        out the window were pre-conceived notions of kilts, and
        leather armor, and bad scottish brogues. He realized his
        was a time of chausses and braies, chainmail and surcoats,
        and Middle English or French.

        Yet, all was not lost to heraldic capitulation. His desired
        connection to the Hay name was realized, and he got to keep
        his given name too!

        http://wimble.outlandsheralds.org/individual_record.php?PersonID=10167

        I just wanted to come back and thank the wonderful Ladies
        and Lords who helped me come to my senses, and started me
        on a path to an SCA persona worth developing. If ever I can
        help someone else in the same capacity, please let me know.

        YIS,

        Lord Louchelan de Hay
        formerly "Lochlan de la Hay"
        formerly "Lochlan mac Garaidh"