large preditors in the 1400s

  • maibabykisses
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 15, 2006
      Hi all--

      Have a quick research question that I hope you may be able to help me
      with or find the information for. Does Scotland have any large wild
      predators, such as cougars or tigers or wolves or bears? I'm
      specifically interested in if there were any such animals present
      roaming the highlands in the 1400s. Any help or knowledge you have is
      greatly appreciated.

      Thanks, and hope everyone have a good weekend!

      Mai Christy
    • Hobbe
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 18, 2006
        It seems that there is currently nothing larger than the badger,
        wildcat or fox. The wild haggis, although small in statue, can be quite
        deadly when cornered.

        Last year, Paul Lister had a plan for a pioneering project that would
        see wolves, bears and lynx reintroduced to his Highland estate,
        Alladale.
        (The following statements have not been verified by me)
        The last wolves were seen in the UK in the 1700s. The brown bear has
        probably been extinct in Britain since the 10th century due to bear
        baiting in Rome. The lynx once roamed the UK until it was persecuted to
        extinction sometime during the Middle Ages.

        Lastly is the large preditor common to the lochs of Scotland for many
        years. Nessie, or The Loch Ness Monster, is a shy and retiring creature
        which only comes into public a few times a year when the smell of
        American Dollars is carried on the wind from tourist resorts. The
        monster eats only American Dollars and Euros, although it is also
        pleased to accept most major credit cards. Frequent visitors to
        Scotland can elect to feed the monster by Direct Debit, and make
        savings of up to £14 a year.
        - Hobbe

        --- In albanach@yahoogroups.com, "maibabykisses" <maichristythao@...>