Re: [albanach] hey my hunt, any help or info would be really helpful

    Message 1 of 2 , May 29, 2006
      At 5:43 AM +0000 5/29/06, Fearghus wrote:
      >hey, i try to get info on highland dess. i not sure what i think i am
      >looking in the worng place or worng something. this what i have and i
      >hoping i can find more over the next few days.

      Have you checked Eogan's reviewed link page, at
      <http://www.albanach.org/review.html>? It reviews many web pages with
      info about historical Scottish clothing. (Unfortunately, most leave
      something to be desired...)

      >here is the links info i found so far
      >http://geocities.com/karen_larsdatter/henryson.htm

      This is a fine site that quotes lines from the poems of Robert
      Henryson that mention clothing. However, all or nearly all of
      Henryson's clothing references will be to Lowland clothing, so it
      won't help much with Highland clothing.

      >http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/scottish/kilts.html

      This page is better than most others, mainly because it actually
      cites some evidence and references, but some of its interpretation
      leaves a bit to be desired. It is best when quoting evidence (and not
      speculating too far away from that evidence).

      >http://www.medievalscotland.org/clothing/scotmen.shtml
      >http://www.medievalscotland.org/clothing/refs/

      These are from my web site. The place to start for all my clothing
      articles/resources is

      <http://MedievalScotland.org/clothing/>

      The article "Scottish Men's Clothing"
      <http://www.medievalscotland.org/clothing/scotmen.shtml > is
      primarily an overview of the question, rather than an answer --
      because the question isn't quite so simple as many assume. However,
      it does broadly outline the general situation (in order to help
      clarify where one should be looking for answers). The information it
      contains is, to the best of my knowledge, still accurate.

      The Historical Scottish Clothing Project
      <http://www.medievalscotland.org/clothing/project.shtml> aims to
      collect all evidence to Scottish clothing through 1700 AD. It is
      still in the early stages, so it as yet only includes
      references/quotations of a small number of historical descriptions
      and depictions of Scottish clothing. However, what it does include is
      reliable -- the sources cited do include what they are said to
      include. However, this is raw evidence, and needs to be interpreted
      in context and in light of other evidence (not all of which is
      included in the project yet). The page
      <http://www.medievalscotland.org/clothing/refs/> is the index of
      historical evidence, while
      <http://www.medievalscotland.org/clothing/books/> is the index of
      publications where such evidence is quoted, etc. (so it's a useful
      bibliography for further research).

      >http://www.marariley.net/celtic/scotland.htm

      This is another page that is better than most others because it
      actually cites some evidence and references, but like the
      ReconstructingHistory.com page, some of its interpretation leaves a
      bit to be desired. It is best when quoting evidence (and not
      speculating too far away from that evidence).

      >http://home.comcast.net/~gmcdavid/HistNotes/belted_plaid.html

      This is a great page that for the most part sticks very closely to
      the actual evidence it cites and quotes. However, some of its
      interpretation is more solid than some of its other interpretations.
      (Mind you, it doesn't do all that much interpreting -- mostly it lets
      the evidence speak for itself.)

      >http://www2.nau.edu/~wew/celt-clothing/

      Note that anything that goes on about "Celts" or "Celtic" clothing in
      the 16th century is suspect from the start -- especially if they
      don't talk about Welsh, Cornish, or Breton clothing and/or discuss
      "Scottish" clothing as if Scotland had a single, uniform culture.
      (This article does both.) If they aren't explicitly clear about the
      correct meaning and usage of "Celtic", how can we trust them to
      correctly interpret anything else? (Likewise, if they don't
      explicitly recognize that not all Scots were Gaels, how can we trust
      them to correctly interpret Scottish evidence?) Note that just
      putting "Celts" and "Celtic" into quotes isn't enough to get an
      author off the hook...

      This page lives up to that early alarm bell -- I find the
      interpretation on this page to typically unreliable. Some of what is
      says is okay (mainly when it is just regurgitating McClintock), some
      of it is very muddled, and you can't tell which bits are which from
      the page itself.

      In general, pages about Scottish clothing that cite and discuss
      specific evidence, and whose conclusions are firmly grounded in
      relevant evidence, are what you're looking for. Unfortunately, even
      most pages that do cite evidence tend to draw some conclusions based
      on assumptions not actually supported by the evidence, so great
      caution must always be used.

      One of the main problems is not enough people are familiar enough not
      only with enough relevant clothing evidence, but also with the
      relevant cultural and historical context to allow them to
      consistently reliably interpret the evidence they do cite. My
      Historical Scottish Clothing Project was started in order to remedy
      the problem of people not being familiar with enough of the relevant
      clothing evidence -- I'm not sure what to do about people not being
      familiar enough with the cultural and historical contexts to
      accurately interpret that evidence...

      Sharon

      PS Eogan, feel free to quote any of the above for your reviewed links page!
      --
      Sharon Krossa, skrossa-ml@...
      Need help with technology for your research or teaching? Hire me!