pelican design

  • Wildecelery@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , May 8, 2006
      Greetings!

      I'm looking for a celtic knotwork early periodish Pelican motif. Lady Moira MacDonald wants to try using one as a coronet design for me, but I have no idea where to look. Mistress Safia also wants to make me a more persona correct medallion, and would aslo like some ideas on where to look for patterns or ideas or extant images. (Yes, my feiends are all worried that some of my regalia isn't really persona correct)

      In Thanks!

      -Ardenia

    • Julie Stackable, SCA Margaret Hepburn
      Message 2 of 2 , May 15, 2006
        Greetings Ardenia,
        The only knotwork pelican design I have found is one from an SCA
        tunic project. Here are some links:
        pelican project main page
        http://www.ece.uwaterloo.ca/~arnora/arnora/projectnotes-pel.htm
        one detail of the pelicans
        http://www.ece.uwaterloo.ca/~arnora/arnora/pelican3.jpg
        You might be able to contact them directly & see if they'd be
        willing to share some sort of design with you, my guess is that they
        would. There are *lots* of birds in Celtic knotwork designs, so
        more likely you can find a friendly artist in your local area (your
        Kingdom's scribes are a good place to look) who can take a
        traditional Celtic knotwork bird & turn it into a Pelican in its
        piety.

        As for the medallion, I would check out online collections that have
        any type of early period knotwork jewelry. You don't really say what
        period, early periodish covers a lot of ground, grin, but plain and
        simple, SCA regalia generally falls into the category of 'it's hard
        to be period with it, because it's not something that existed in
        period', per se. My suggestion would be to find a design from the
        period you like (and there is tons of stuff on line from the Book of
        Kells, Lindisfarne Gospels and the like) & find an early period
        medallion you like and combine the two. SCRAN, the Scottish Archive
        has tons of stuff, but unless you are a paid member, you only get
        the picture, not the detail, but quite often you can use it as a
        starting point.

        Good luck!
        Margaret Hepburn