Re: [albanach] Re: Name pronounciations & descriptive bynames?

  • ebrowder@widomaker.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 15, 2006
      Hallo a h-uile duine (hello everyone)

      Reidio nan Gaidheal (BBC Alba) is excellent. They broadcast 69 hours of Gaelic
      each week (should be all the time on the air). Most of the shows before noon
      British time are entirely in Gaelic and the music tends to be more traditional.
      There are often telephone interviews with native born speakers and learners.
      The problem is the 5 hour time difference here on the east coast and 8 on the
      west coast. I'm usually up at 4:30 AM and listen most mornings.

      The Gaelic College in Cape Breton Canada offers two on-line courses that are
      interactive with a teacher who grades lessons. The second course includes
      twelve twenty minute telephone lessons with the instructor. It ain't cheap
      but once you finish both, you can continue to acces the course archives. There
      are six weeks of Gaelic courses in Cape Breton. This year, they will all be
      total immersion from beginner through advanced.

      The national organization of Gaelic learners is An Commun Gaidhleach Ameireaga
      (ACGA) and they have a list of teachers and classes that they know about
      throughout the US and Canada Their address is:

      ACGA
      PO Box 103069
      Denver, CO 80250

      They have an immersion weekend every year somewhere in the US and a Mòd as
      well.
      Siol Cultural Enterprises (www.gaelicbooks.com) is worth going to because they
      have a lot of learners materials and music as well.

      there are a number of sources. Finding someone to converse with is harder. I
      belong to a group in Richmond, VA that meets one weekend each month and I'm
      considering starting a study group here in Williamsburg, VA--if I get up the
      nerve and can find the time.

      Mise le meas,
      Seal O'Bruadair (Shel Browder)

      And "Seal" is not a Gaelic name. It is the way that Shel (Shelton) has to be
      spelled in Gaelic to retain it's pronunciation.

      Cum Gàidhlig beò

      Quoting "Julie Stackable, SCA Margaret Hepburn" <malvoisine@...>:

      > That was great, I think we posted this at the same time. Thanks so
      > much for the link. I spent the afternoon listening to the news in
      > Scots Gaelic! (didn't understand hardly a word except for placenames
      > & proper names, but found it very soothing!)
      > Cheers,
      > Margaret Hepburn
      > > You should check out Reidio nan Gaidheal on BBC Scotland's website
      > > then, there are learning resources there as well as native fluency
      > > broadcasts (They speak it very fast!)
      > >
      > > Here's the URL:
      > > http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/alba/
      > >
      > > If you miss a broadcast, go to "Eisd a rithist" (listen again) for
      > > list of this past weeks broadcasts--there are news, music programs
      > > mostly. What is fun is when they present modern hip-hop or pop
      > music in
      > > gaelic. (ok, so it makes me shudder a little to hear it...)
      > >
      > > OH, and if you need to find a dictionary online--go to
      > > http://www.smo.uhi.ac.uk/gaidhlig/faclair/sbg/lorg.php
      > > The page, so far as I've been able to find, is not available in
      > > English--consider it a basic IQ test! Hint: Lorg means 'search' or
      > > 'find', beurla=english. Have fun!
      > >
      > > le meas,
      > >
      > > Cainnech Ruad mcGuairi

      > > http://mail.yahoo.com

      > Scotland c. 503-1603 AD.
      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Kevin Myers
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 16, 2006
        wrote:

        > That was great, I think we posted this at the same time. Thanks so
        > much for the link. I spent the afternoon listening to the news in
        > Scots Gaelic! (didn't understand hardly a word except for placenames
        > & proper names, but found it very soothing!)

        'S e do bheatha!

        You're welcome!

        Frequently I only get but little else than placenames and the
        occasional word also. They usually have the text of the news broadcasts
        on the website, and I follow along with that, it helps a great deal to
        learn the pronounciation--and helps with comprehension too--being far
        better at reading it than hearing it. Alas, my current computer is
        lacking speakers....

        -Cainnech

        http://mail.yahoo.com