Re: [albanach] Fwd: [CAID-OT] The Hobbit in Irish ? An Hobad as Gaeilge

  • ebrowder@widomaker.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 20 2:56 AM
      Muirghein,

      Though it's Scottish Gaelic that I'm learning, I'll have to purchase that
      anyway.

      Tapaidh leibh,
      Shel

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 3, 2006
        At 01:08 PM 2/19/2006, Cecily wrote:
        >Muirghein wrote:
        > > Dunno how on-topic it is here, but I thought some might be
        > > interested :-).
        > >
        > > Muirghein /|\
        >
        >Muirghein - your name looks beautiful. Would you mind telling me how to
        >pronounce it? What time period is it from?

        Rather than try this myself, I'll just quote one of our experts,
        Sharon, ska Euphrick:

        >Muirgen/Muirghen = /MUUR-yehn/, with the UU trying to represent a
        >'continental European' quality U, which is very hard to write
        >unambiguously
        >in English. It's like the 'oo' in English 'moo' and 'moon', but not the
        >'oo' in many pronunciations of English 'moor' (i.e., it is *not* like
        >'more'). To represent it another way, it's like the 'ou' in English 'you'
        >or English 'mousse' (*not* 'mouse'), but *not* like English 'our'. The
        >/yehn/ is like the name of the Japanese currency. (The vowel sound in the
        >2nd syllable is not very vital -- it could end up sounding as much like
        >'yin' and 'yen'.) Notice that the 'g'/'gh' is pronounced like a hard 'y',
        >and that there is *no* hard 'y' sound after the 'M'. (Another way to
        >think
        >of it would be like the surname of naturalist John Muir, only
        >*without* the
        >hard 'y' after the 'M' -- not /MYUUR/ but /MUUR/)
        >
        >Gaelic, with few exceptions, always places a strong stress/emphasis
        >on the
        >first syllable or any name or word.

        Per http://www.medievalscotland.org/problem/names/morgan.shtml, the
        spelling I use is Early Modern, c.1400 and after, though IIRC when we
        did the consultation on it, that spelling ran a little earlier too
        (my persona was born in 1288).

        Sharon can, of course, correct anything I've goofed :-). She was one
        of the people who helped me go from Morgan O'Daire to Muirghein
        Dhaire when I realized my name just didn't work with my persona and,
        being a herald, wanted to fix it :-).

        YiS,
        Dreiburgen Web Minister http://www.dreiburgen.org
      • Sandi
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 3, 2006
          Thanks for this information, "muur-yen"! It really interests me, too,
          that when I say your name correctly it almost sounds like I am saying
          "Morgan". Is Morgan an Anglicization of Muirghein?

          Cecily

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 3, 2006
            At 7:28 PM -0600 4/3/06, Sandi wrote:
            >Thanks for this information, "muur-yen"! It really interests me, too,
            >that when I say your name correctly it almost sounds like I am saying
            >"Morgan".

            It shouldn't all that much alike -- <Morgan> is pronounced roughly
            "MORE-ghen" (with a hard "g", as in English <gun>, and "MORE" roughly
            like the English word <more>), while <Muirghein> is pronounced
            roughly "MOOR-yen" ("MOO" like the sound a cow makes, *not* like the
            vowel in English <more>), so not only are the primary vowel sounds
            different, but one has a hard "g" sound where the other has a "y"
            sound.

            [These days I try harder to make pronunciation guides work as much as
            possible as if they were English, but sometimes this is difficult
            when English doesn't cooperate...]

            >Is Morgan an Anglicization of Muirghein?

            No, they are unrelated. See
            <http://www.medievalscotland.org/problem/names/morgan.shtml>.

            Sharon, away from home and so not posting much
            --
            Sharon Krossa, skrossa-ml@...
            Medieval Scotland - http://MedievalScotland.org/