I have just a few questions...

  • Chelle
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 28, 2005
      Hope everyone had a blessed Christmas.
      The story is coming along, slowly, but along.

      Okay..my time frame late 1400's

      1. What would be a good Scottish word to replace "fuss"?
      i.e. What seems to be the fuss?

      2. Some (clean) ideas for Gaelic/Latin mumblings (frustrated)with
      translation please.

      3. What the heck would you call a healer or surgeon of the time?

      4. What would a group of ship-builders be called? (a gaggle? j/k)

      5. Does anyone happen to know any wedding vows/traditions for Roman
      Catholic at this time(late 1400's & upper class)?

      6. Anyone have any "dirt" on Archie "Bell the cat" Douglas?

      I think that's all for right now. Please let me know if you can help.
    • Julie Stackable, SCA Margaret Hepburn
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 30, 2005
        Dear Chelle,
        I'm not taking you to task here, I'm not a moderator nor an owner,
        but most of the things you've asked for could quickly be found with
        a Google search. We have a lot of authors that join, ask a few
        questions & never are heard from again. It's my hope that you are in
        for the long haul & I'll see if I can help
        --- In albanach@yahoogroups.com, "Chelle" <bunky51189@y...> wrote:

        > Hope everyone had a blessed Christmas.
        > The story is coming along, slowly, but along.
        >
        > Okay..my time frame late 1400's
        >

        > 1. What would be a good Scottish word to replace "fuss"?
        > i.e. What seems to be the fuss?

        Go here: http://www.dsl.ac.uk/dsl/
        This is the online dictionary of the scots language. Enter fuss &
        ask for a full entry, it will give you a number of euphemisms, you
        ought to be able to find one close enough to your period.

        > 2. Some (clean) ideas for Gaelic/Latin mumblings (frustrated)with
        > translation please.

        There are a number of people on this list who have Gaelic or Latin -
        be a little more specific with what you want & you'll most likely
        get a better answer.

        > 3. What the heck would you call a healer or surgeon of the time?

        Depends on what type & what for. Midwife is self explanatory,
        surgeon and chirurgeon are very job specific. Doctor and physician
        are also used in period. I'd suggest doing the same as #1 to get
        better Scottish euphemisms.

        > 4. What would a group of ship-builders be called? (a gaggle? j/k)

        A group of shipbuilders would be my guess. Some context would better
        help answer this question. Your local library should also have the
        OED, which might give you better reference & some period terms which
        you could then cross reference in the DSL.

        > 5. Does anyone happen to know any wedding vows/traditions for
        Roman
        > Catholic at this time(late 1400's & upper class)?

        Here is a good article on medieval weddings with the vows
        http://www.forest.gen.nz/Medieval/articles/wedding/Pro_sponso.html

        It focuses on Scandinavia, but has good general information. For
        Scotland, briefly, rings on the right hand, betrothal and banns
        beforehand. You'll need the marriage contract for the betrothal -
        this lays out dowry, provisions for children and widow's portions,
        as well as describing property layouts, plus provisions for what
        happens if anything presented is false (i.e. if she's not a virgin,
        if that was promised, etc.) - it usually comes down to a monetary
        fine. No white dress or bouquet, most of what we know of marriages
        is Victorian....

        > 6. Anyone have any "dirt" on Archie "Bell the cat" Douglas?

        Again, Google is your friend. Just how he got his name involves a
        bit of dirt, there's a murder plot after all.

        > I think that's all for right now. Please let me know if you can
        help.

        Good luck & hope you get what you need,
        Toujours a vos ordres,