Re: Gotta name question...

  • Julie Stackable, SCA Margaret Hepburn
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 27, 2005
      I can't find my copy of Black right now (too much Christmas
      cleaning!) to answer it definitively. Are you looking for a
      particular period? It's been registered in the SCA twice recently
      without comment (in January and March of 2002) - I'll see if I can
      pull up the documentation that was used for those two instances.

      Are you looking for a particular time period, or did you just want
      to make sure it was usable?

      Toujours a vos ordres,
      Margaret Hepburn
      --- In albanach@yahoogroups.com, "jamieblackrose" <josephnjody@s...>

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 27, 2005
        Margaret Hepburn: When do diminutives like Jamie start to be used in
        Scotland? Any guesses? Any pointers to research info?

        Margaret,
        Blacks The Surnames Of Scotland states the dimunitive of James, was
        around 1537. This is on page 382. Hope this helps.
        Diana Cosby

        www.dianacosby.com
        Romance Edged With Danger
      • jamieblackrose
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 3, 2006
          --- In albanach@yahoogroups.com, "Julie Stackable, SCA Margaret
          Hepburn" <malvoisine@y...> wrote:

          > I can't find my copy of Black right now (too much Christmas
          > cleaning!) to answer it definitively. Are you looking for a
          > particular period? It's been registered in the SCA twice recently
          > without comment (in January and March of 2002) - I'll see if I can
          > pull up the documentation that was used for those two instances.
          >
          > Are you looking for a particular time period, or did you just want
          > to make sure it was usable?
          >
          > Toujours a vos ordres,
          > Margaret Hepburn
          > --- In albanach@yahoogroups.com, "jamieblackrose"
          <josephnjody@s...>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > When do diminutives like Jamie start to be used in Scotland? Any
          > > guesses? Any pointers to research info?
          > >
          > > Thanks for any info!
          > >
          > > Jamie (see my concern?) Blackrose

          I would be interested in the earliest written source (Diana Crosby
          reports that would be 1537) and any guesses as to how much earlier it
          may have started. Was Jamie considered a proper name by 1537? Or is
          this the first time that James is written as a diminutive? I am
          trying to do early 15th C Scottish particulary Scots in the service
          of France 1418-1460 or so.

          Thank you for your consideration,
          Jamie Blackrose