Gotta name question...

  • jamieblackrose
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 26, 2005
      When do diminutives like Jamie start to be used in Scotland? Any
      guesses? Any pointers to research info?

      Thanks for any info!

      Jamie (see my concern?) Blackrose
    • Julie Stackable, SCA Margaret Hepburn
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 27, 2005
        I can't find my copy of Black right now (too much Christmas
        cleaning!) to answer it definitively. Are you looking for a
        particular period? It's been registered in the SCA twice recently
        without comment (in January and March of 2002) - I'll see if I can
        pull up the documentation that was used for those two instances.

        Are you looking for a particular time period, or did you just want
        to make sure it was usable?

        Toujours a vos ordres,
        Margaret Hepburn
        --- In albanach@yahoogroups.com, "jamieblackrose" <josephnjody@s...>

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 27, 2005
          Margaret Hepburn: When do diminutives like Jamie start to be used in
          Scotland? Any guesses? Any pointers to research info?

          Margaret,
          Blacks The Surnames Of Scotland states the dimunitive of James, was
          around 1537. This is on page 382. Hope this helps.
          Diana Cosby

          www.dianacosby.com
          Romance Edged With Danger
        • jamieblackrose
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 3, 2006
            --- In albanach@yahoogroups.com, "Julie Stackable, SCA Margaret
            Hepburn" <malvoisine@y...> wrote:

            > I can't find my copy of Black right now (too much Christmas
            > cleaning!) to answer it definitively. Are you looking for a
            > particular period? It's been registered in the SCA twice recently
            > without comment (in January and March of 2002) - I'll see if I can
            > pull up the documentation that was used for those two instances.
            >
            > Are you looking for a particular time period, or did you just want
            > to make sure it was usable?
            >
            > Toujours a vos ordres,
            > Margaret Hepburn
            > --- In albanach@yahoogroups.com, "jamieblackrose"
            <josephnjody@s...>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > When do diminutives like Jamie start to be used in Scotland? Any
            > > guesses? Any pointers to research info?
            > >
            > > Thanks for any info!
            > >
            > > Jamie (see my concern?) Blackrose

            I would be interested in the earliest written source (Diana Crosby
            reports that would be 1537) and any guesses as to how much earlier it
            may have started. Was Jamie considered a proper name by 1537? Or is
            this the first time that James is written as a diminutive? I am
            trying to do early 15th C Scottish particulary Scots in the service
            of France 1418-1460 or so.

            Thank you for your consideration,
            Jamie Blackrose