What's everyone working on?

  • Julie Stackable, SCA Margaret Hepburn
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 3, 2005
      So, things Scottish-wise, what's everyone working on lately? We've
      been kind of quiet lately except for a few hits & curious what
      everyone is up to?

      I'm still working on my website, which I was supposed to be done
      with this time last year, but got sidelined with many SCA
      projects....

      I'm working on three heraldic Scottish name articles with names
      taken from Scottish archives.

      I've been doing continuing research on Scottish interiors & have
      recently started translating three wills to help shore up same. I've
      started saving my money to buy the bits & pieces to furnish my
      chamber. Bought a feather mattress & pillows from Overstock.com,
      can't wait to finish the bed!

      Got two TI articles in the works, waiting on some permission to
      publish pictures to finish them up - one about Scottish flags & the
      other about a Scottish betrothal & marriage from the 1550's...

      Lots of other things, but they are not necessarily germane to
      Scottish things so... how 'bout the rest of youse guys?

      Cheers,
      Margaret Hepburn
    • ebrowder@widomaker.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 3, 2005
        Hi Margaret,

        First, as soon as I order some tartan that's suitable, I have some hose to make.
        Thanks again for the article. The layout will make hose and trews that match
        all the paintings that I've looked at.

        Just made a haversack according to a French text (18th cent) that has a leather
        strap and is large enough to come over my knees when used as a short sleeping
        bag. I'm still working on the notion of a short backpacking rip in the
        mountains with a great kilt and no modern gear.

        Reproduced some tools at work based on 18th cent drawings from Diderot that will
        make the type of iron knife bolsters that are seen on some knives over a long
        time period and did a test run late yesterday. They work well.

        Beannachd leibh,
        Seal (Shel)

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 3, 2005
          The camping trip sounds really interesting. Not really much
          analogous to that that I can do here. I am unaware of any 16th
          century Scots sojourning in high plains areas like we have around
          here in eastern New Mexico, plus I don't think it would have been
          the sort of trip a woman would have been making. Either way, it
          sounds very cool & I hope you plan to keep some sort of journal of
          it, sounds like it would of a lot of interest to Scottish re-
          enactors. Good luck with the trews!
          Margaret