New member - hi

  • Toni aka Catte
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2005
      Hi my name is Lady Catte McGuffee, MKA Toni McEvoy. I am a new member
      and looking forward to joining into your wonderful group.

      I play in SCA but my lineage is also Scottish. I am trying to
      research costume (garb) for a female about the time of Robert the
      Bruce (I know that the Bruce chartered the castle of Drum to my
      ancestors in 1323, so that would be a pretty cool time to shoot for).
      I also know that the classic peasant blouse with plaid overskirt and
      corset (typically thought of as "Scottish" clothing) is probably WAY
      off. I have resently lost a LARGE amount of weight and have to totally
      remake all of my garb. I would like at least one or two pieces as
      authentic as possible (style wise - no I do not want to shear a sheep
      and weave my own material). Any help or advice would be greatly
      appreciated.

      yours

      Lady Catte McGuffee
      Toni aka Cat =^o^=
      http://geocities.com/saorsa.geo
    • harriotsfield@scribe.sca.org
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2005
        Dear Lady Catte McGuffee,
        "The classic peasant blouse with plaid overskirt and corset," may
        indeed be correct. BUT if you are looking at the SCA you should be
        researching the clothing of the MINOR NOBILITY not that of a peasant.
        The members of the SCA consider themselves minor nobility. So that will
        direct your recreational research in a slightly different direction.
        The influence of France and French fashions should be considered
        perhaps more than English influences. Just something to consider.
        Lord Johan de Foderingeye (in the SCA)
        Dave , otherwise
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 1, 2005
          At 02:30 PM 10/1/05, you wrote:
          >Dear Lady Catte McGuffee,
          > "The classic peasant blouse with plaid overskirt and corset," may
          >indeed be correct. BUT if you are looking at the SCA you should be
          >researching the clothing of the MINOR NOBILITY not that of a peasant.
          >The members of the SCA consider themselves minor nobility. So that will
          >direct your recreational research in a slightly different direction.
          >The influence of France and French fashions should be considered
          >perhaps more than English influences. Just something to consider.
          >Lord Johan de Foderingeye (in the SCA)
          >Dave , otherwise

          The top/skirt/corset combo is indeed way off for that early in the
          1300s. You're looking at things more like cotehardies and sideless
          surcoats in England and points south at that era. This is a
          fiendishly hard time to research, as most stuff is either late 1200s
          or later in the 1300s. At least, that was my experience trying to
          have authentic garb for a Highlander in 1326. I found nothing for the
          Highlands, nothing useable for Ireland (the usual place Scottish
          Gaels are told to look at for the era), and precious little anywhere
          else in the British Isles. The surcoat look was the best I could do
          in balancing something that was reasonably accurate with something I
          was willing to be seen in public in ;-), justified by our clan having
          trade relations that would explain us knowing the latest fashions.

          Skimming my bookmarks:
          http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/irish/moy.html
          http://www.usd.edu:80/~socrean/arts/gunnas.htm

          Those should help for a start :-).