solid belted plaid

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2005
      Ok, here's the skinny on the portrait I was referencing.
      It is of Sir Duncan Campbell of Lochow, founder of the Campbells of
      Glenorchy, painted by George Jamesone in 1635. Sir Duncan is depicted
      wearing a solid red belted plaid -- it is knee length, belted at the waist,
      and drawn up over both shoulders and pinned beneath the neck with a gold
      brooch. His bonnet appears to be made from the same material as his plaid.
      He is wearing tartan cadadh -- flesh colored base color with a narrow red
      tartan pattern, tied on with blue garters.
      You can see a detail of this portrait in *Tartan: The Highland Habit*, by
      Hugh Cheape (National Museums of Scotland, 1991, 2nd ed. 1995).

      Matthew A. C. Newsome, FSA Scot
      Curator of the Scottish Tartans Museum
      Member of the Guild of Tartan Scholars
      Homepage: http://www.albanach.org