Questions about Medieval Scottish Dance

  • SiegfriedMcClure@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 10, 2005
      Greetings! I have been involved in Scottish Country Dance for many years
      (RSCDS). It turns out that the dances I have been doing are all from 17th
      century or later. Does anyone have any information about Medieval Scottish
      dancing? The only dance I know about was the Highland Fling (involving warriors
      hopping up and down on their shields before battle). I was hoping to bring
      some fun to my local SCA event dances, and I find that I just don't care for
      the English dances that everyone here seems to know. The scottish dances I
      know are just a lot more fun.

      Any sources would be most helpful.

      In Service,

      Siegfried McClure
      Exchequer for the Canton of Sudentorre, Barony of Stierbach, Kingdom of
      Atlantia

      mka James Ernst

    • Tracie Brown
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 13, 2005
        If by "medieval" you mean medieval (that time between the Roman empire
        and the Renaissance), then you're out of luck. Sure, Scots (and other
        folks) danced, and we even have some dance tunes that have survived,
        but no dances. If by "medieval" you mean "SCA period", then you're
        talking about 15th, 16th and early 17th century renaissance (not
        medieval) dances. 15th-17th century Scots did many of the same dances
        that were done in England and on the continent -- pavans, galliards,
        branles, plus assorted English country dances. To be sure, there were
        also dances that would appear to be specifically Scottish, but they
        didn't survive. Scottish country dancing and highland dancing as we
        know it today originates in the 18th and 19th centuries, and much of
        it is even more recent. Sorry about that.

        This is quite a good article on the subject of dancing in Scotland in
        the SCA period:

        http://www.nonvi.com/sm/scottish_period.html

        -- Signy