Just wanted to introduce myself

  • Christina
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 9, 2005
      Greetings! I'm new to the SCA, well, kinda. I participated at a few
      events about 4 years ago within the Kingdom Trimaris, where I'm
      currently involved again. The persona I'm researching is 13th Century
      scottish Lowlands, though I'm not positive of the bynames or clothing
      of that time. The name I chose was Elena, though it's not set in stone
      yet. If anyone could help me out with the research and verification,
      it'd be greatly appreciated.

      Christina
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 12, 2005
        Christina wrote: The persona I'm researching is 13th Century scottish
        Lowlands, though I'm not positive of the bynames or clothing of that
        time. The name I chose was Elena, though it's not set in stone yet. If
        anyone could help me out with the research and verification, it'd be
        greatly appreciated.

        ~Christina, sorry for the slow reply. That name is listed on the
        feminine personal names found in Scottish records:
        http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/talan/scottishfem/scottishfemearly.html

        Hope this helps.
        Diana Cosby

        2005 Fool For Love Finalist
        www.dianacosby.com
        Romance Edged With Danger
      • Christina
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 12, 2005
          > ~Christina, sorry for the slow reply. That name is listed on the
          > feminine personal names found in Scottish records:
          > http://www.s-
          gabriel.org/names/talan/scottishfem/scottishfemearly.html

          > Hope this helps.
          > Diana Cosby
          >
          > 2005 Fool For Love Finalist
          > www.dianacosby.com
          > Romance Edged With Danger

          Diana, thanks, but where do you think I found the name to begin
          with? :p No, I'm not trying to be a smart aleck, but I did a LOT of
          research before I found this group. The part I'm most having trouble
          with is trying to figure out how the bynames thing works. I've read
          quite a few things and I still haven't figured out how to pick one.

          Elena (PS~ I did decide to use Elena, I just wasn't sure about it at
          the time)
        • Corey Steff
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 14, 2005
            Christina,

            are you looking for a By name specifically (locative, descriptive, patronymic)

            or are you more looking for just a surname?

            Gavine Armestrang
            > ~Christina, sorry for the slow reply. That name is listed on the
            > feminine personal names found in Scottish records:
            > http://www.s-<http://www.s-/>
            gabriel.org/names/talan/scottishfem/scottishfemearly.html

            > Hope this helps.
            > Diana Cosby
            >
            > 2005 Fool For Love Finalist
            > www.dianacosby.com<http://www.dianacosby.com/>
            > Romance Edged With Danger

            Diana, thanks, but where do you think I found the name to begin
            with? :p No, I'm not trying to be a smart aleck, but I did a LOT of
            research before I found this group. The part I'm most having trouble
            with is trying to figure out how the bynames thing works. I've read
            quite a few things and I still haven't figured out how to pick one.

            Elena (PS~ I did decide to use Elena, I just wasn't sure about it at
            the time)

            Scotland c. 503-1603 AD.

          • Christina
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 14, 2005
              Gavine,

              Actually, I'm not sure. I've requested some information from the
              secretary of the Clan Hamilton, which is part of my background, so
              I'm really not sure which (byname or surname). I know, I'm really
              undecisive. :p

              Christina
              --- In albanach@yahoogroups.com, "Corey Steff" <scotsfencer@m...>
              wrote:
              > Christina,
              >
              > are you looking for a By name specifically (locative, descriptive,
              patronymic)

              > or are you more looking for just a surname?
              >
              > Gavine Armestrang

              of Service<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

            • Corey Steff
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 15, 2005
                Christina,

                If I may tell you about mine then... it may help you decide. As you can see my name is Gavine Armestrang. My persona is from early 1500's, lowlands Scotland. From the area of Liddesdale. I am a Border Riever. All of this information I found out just by looking into the Armstrong family name, which is a part of my family name. the Armstrong name was originally cited in the 1300's. Armestrang is a spelling from the 1500's, dated 1503 I believe. Armestrang is a family surname, which is also called a Patronymic Byname (Sharon.. correct me if im wrong). Patronymic Byname simply means that your surname (last name) is described by your fathers name or surname. This can also be found in Norse culture with names like "Thor Bjornson", which literally means Thor son of Bjorn.
                This reminds me though that I am also called by some as "Gavine the Bear" due to my stature, attitude, and <ahem> body hair. "The Bear" in this case is a Descriptive Byname. As such it is a surname that directly describes me as something else. Other examples would be "Erik the Red" and "Alexander the Great"... although I don't think he was known as that during his life.
                The other option is a Locative Byname, which describes you based on where you are from. Examples of this would be "Jon of Antioch" of "William of the Hill". Both of these are gentles in my local group.
                I am unsure how common descriptive or locative bynames are in lowland scotland as my research hasn't gotten that far. Perhaps someone else has a better idea. I hope that I was able to help some

                Ld Gavine Armestrang
                Hospitaller
                Barony of Darkwater, Trimaris
                Pursuivant-at-large
                Email: Scotsfencer@...<mailto:Scotsfencer@...>
                Ph#: 407-760-2286

                --- In albanach@yahoogroups.com<mailto:albanach@yahoogroups.com>, "Corey Steff" <scotsfencer@m<mailto:scotsfencer@m>...>
                wrote:
                > Christina,
                >
                > are you looking for a By name specifically (locative, descriptive,
                patronymic)

                > or are you more looking for just a surname?
                >
                > Gavine Armestrang

                of Service<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/<http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>>.

                Scotland c. 503-1603 AD.

              • Christina
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 15, 2005
                  Gavine, I am Cheri (Nichols) Smith's neice (from her first
                  marraige). From my grandmothers side of the family, we've traced
                  last names back to the Hamilton Clan and I've written the Clan's
                  historian to see what information I may be able to get as far as
                  dates and such, so I'm kinda following the family linage route as
                  well.

                  wrote:
                  > Christina,
                  >
                  > If I may tell you about mine then... it may help you decide. As
                  you can see my name is Gavine Armestrang. My persona is from early
                  1500's, lowlands Scotland. From the area of Liddesdale. I am a
                  Border Riever. All of this information I found out just by looking
                  into the Armstrong family name, which is a part of my family name.
                  the Armstrong name was originally cited in the 1300's. Armestrang is
                  a spelling from the 1500's, dated 1503 I believe. Armestrang is a
                  family surname, which is also called a Patronymic Byname (Sharon..
                  correct me if im wrong). Patronymic Byname simply means that your
                  surname (last name) is described by your fathers name or surname.
                  This can also be found in Norse culture with names like "Thor
                  Bjornson", which literally means Thor son of Bjorn.
                  > This reminds me though that I am also called by some as "Gavine
                  the Bear" due to my stature, attitude, and <ahem> body hair. "The
                  Bear" in this case is a Descriptive Byname. As such it is a surname
                  that directly describes me as something else. Other examples would
                  be "Erik the Red" and "Alexander the Great"... although I don't
                  think he was known as that during his life.
                  > The other option is a Locative Byname, which describes you based
                  on where you are from. Examples of this would be "Jon of Antioch"
                  of "William of the Hill". Both of these are gentles in my local
                  group.
                  > I am unsure how common descriptive or locative bynames are in
                  lowland scotland as my research hasn't gotten that far. Perhaps
                  someone else has a better idea. I hope that I was able to help some

                  > Ld Gavine Armestrang
                  > Hospitaller
                  > Barony of Darkwater, Trimaris
                  > Pursuivant-at-large