clan rivalry question

  • maibabykisses
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 5, 2005
      Hi guys,

      I'm Mai from North Carolina. I just joined. I'm doing research for a
      book I'm writing and would like to know if anyone here can help answer
      a question for me.

      The hero in the book I'm writing is a Kincaid. I'm trying to figure
      out what clans the Kincaid might have fueds or rivalry with in its
      history.

      Any input is appreciated.

      Thanks,

      Mai
    • Julie Stackable, SCA Margaret Hepburn
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 6, 2005
        Dear Mai,
        Welcome to the list. I am not 100% sure this is the best forum for
        your specific question, but let me see if I can point you in some
        directions. (and we may very well have someone on the list who's a
        Kincaid expert, and they may yet post).

        This is actually quite a complex question you've asked and providing
        us with more info might elicit better answers. For starters, what
        era are you looking at? Many Scottish clans & families would have
        ongoing feuds for years that might then be solved by a marriage. So,
        Kincaids that might have had issues with McLeods (I don't have my
        clan map to hand, so just picking a surname at random, don't know if
        they are geographically close) all through the 15th century might be
        great allies with them in the 16th century.

        Since you clearly have internet access, your best bet is probably
        going to be to Google for two things. One, Google for 'Clan
        Kincaid'. Most official clan websites will have at least a brief
        clan history which should tell you something. Often, the Clan
        history will be taken from a specific text & if there is a
        bilbiography or any sort of good citation, you'll be able to request
        things through interlibrary loan (as most on the list can ruefully
        tell you, it's almost guaranteed the book you want will be out of
        print or prohibitively expensive or often both!). Next, google 'Clan
        Map'. This will show you geographically where clans are & will show
        which other families the Kincaids bordered on. Generally, the people
        closest will have the most issues. Now, these clan maps are not the
        end all, be all, but will give you some basic info to start with.

        Good luck with your research.

        Cheers,
        Margaret Hepburn
        --- In albanach@yahoogroups.com, "maibabykisses" <maibrowneyez@h...>