Re: [albanach] Digest Number 769

  • david smith
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 21, 2005
      Thank you for the explination

      heh
      how about a Mor Mac and a side of fries, Mor sized of course

      thanks much

      David

    • Kevin Myers
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 21, 2005
        Nach bithidh sin "Mac Mho/r" matha?
        (Wouldn't that be "Mac Mho/r" then?)
        Agus taobh bhuntata (& a side of potatoes)

        I recall several years ago, a call went out to the folks that inhabit
        the Gaelic-L lists asking for input on McD's food items and
        translations for their then newly opening Fort William (that's An
        Gearasdan) store.

        Sla/n Leibh

        Cainnech Ru/ad mcGuairi

        --- david smith <ssgsmithabn1965@...> wrote:

        > Thank you for the explination
        >
        > heh
        > how about a Mor Mac and a side of fries, Mor sized of course
        >
        > thanks much
        >
        > David

        > Scotland c. 503-1603 AD.
        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Beth Engel
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 21, 2005
          No! That's exactly the sort of information I'm looking for - pardon my
          evesdropping. :)
          Might I impose on your knowledge a little more, Sharon?

          You see, my "little" brother (by the name of Daniel) has just started
          getting involved in the SCA. I put little in quotation marks because he's
          6'5 and 250 lbs. He's been looking for a persona name, something slightly
          ironic perhaps, along the lines of "Little John" or "Great Scot". At the
          moment he's favouring "Great Scot" because everytime one of our memebers
          exclaimes "Great Scot!" He replies with a deep "Yes?"
          If he could get away with the surname Graham I'm sure he'd be delighted (it
          isn't his modern surname, but rather our Mother's maiden name). I think
          Graham is a little modern, although I'm not sure what period he's looking at
          - or if he's even picky about it.

          So - how would <Mor> be pronounced with either the accute or grave accents?
          I'm not familiar with how they effect that particular vowel.

          In Curiosity,
          ~Elspeth inghean Dubhghaill
          (who mixes Scots with her Gaelic so she can pronounce it...)

          >Note that below I'm leaving out the accent that
          >should be on <Mor> -- in period, the <o> has an
          >acute accent (going this / direction) and
          >modernly in Scottish Gaelic a grave accent (going
          >this \ direction).
          >
          >When used with another byname, both historically
          >and modernly, descriptive bynames like <Mor> come
          >after the given name and before the (historical)
          >patronymic byname or (modern) family byname.

        • Kevin Myers
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 21, 2005
            --- Beth Engel <pk_lioness@...> wrote:
            > So - how would <Mor> be pronounced with either the accute or grave
            > accents?
            > I'm not familiar with how they effect that particular vowel.

            Something between <mohr> and <mowr>. Roll the 'r'. The vowel is low,
            mid and a little front, and rounded. Does that make sense? (That's
            modern pronounciation though)

            -Cainnech

            http://mail.yahoo.com