[albanach] Re: Scotland 1450-1707

  • EoganOg@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 5 8:49 PM
      Hi, Drew! James IV had a great deal of impact on Scotland musically. You
      might want to delve into that research a bit. I believe he is mentioned
      quite a bit in _A History of Music in Scotland_ by Henry George Farmer. (If
      your library does not have this, it is available through ILL from either WCU
      or Warren Wilson--I forget which library I checked it out from).

      As far as another topic is concerned, you may want to mention the great
      changes in Highland dress that occurred from say 1550 to 1600. This is the
      earliest known development of the kilt, of course! Scotland's national
      garment! (Of course, what might you know about that, little gillie--;-)

      (Inside joke--Drew did an internship with me last winter at the Scottish
      Tartans Museum--did very well, I might add. Look at the pictures of the
      museum at www.scottishtartans.org/museum.html. He helped me build some of
      that. The spurtle hanging up in the first picture was donated by him... ;-)

      Aye,
      Eogan Og (proud of his gillie)
      Tighearn Eoghan Og Mac Labhrainn, CP
      Sangster of Scotland and Atlantia
      Chronicler of the Militant Society of Bards
      http://www.scottishtartans.org/eogan.html
      Checky Or & Vert, two lions combattant, tails knowed, in base a
      mouse couchant, all within an orle of roundels, Argent.
      ALBANACH Egroup (a discussion group for things Scottish 503-1603AD)
      http://www.egroups.com/group/albanach
      "A! Fredome is a noble thing. . ." --John Barbour in The Bruce, 1375
    • Bkwyrm@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 6 6:01 PM
        In a message dated 8/5/99 11:02:13 PM !!!First Boot!!!, janeill1@...
        writes:

        << Dear Albanach,
        I am doing an independent research project for school and it requires
        that I find 8 events/people that I would like to learn more about and/or
        were SIGNIFICANT turning points for Scottish history from 1450 -1707.

        I have chosen:
        James IV
        Mary
        the Reformation (esp Presbyterianism)
        James VI
        Stuart Restoration
        Glorious Revolution
        Act of Union

        I need one more. Any thoughts on my current list or any ideas for the
        eighth topic would be appreciated.
        Thank you for your time.
        Drew

        Often overlooked, but worth checking out -- the war between the Crown and the
        Lords of the Isles for control of the Isles and West Coast.

        JfG
      • EoganOg@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 12 6:05 PM
          In a message dated 8/6/99 9:02:40 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Bkwyrm@...
          writes:

          > Often overlooked, but worth checking out -- the war between the Crown and
          the
          > Lords of the Isles for control of the Isles and West Coast.

          I'm too lazy to look it up, but didn't this occur before the time period Drew
          is limited to? Regardless, I'd like to hear more about it on this list. I'm
          very interested inthe history of the Lords of the Isles, but can find scant
          time to research.