Need some help, looking for a period (ish) song

  • Julie Stackable, SCA Margaret Hepburn
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 14, 2005
      Greetings all,
      I needed to ask for some help. I know almost nothing about period
      music (I know what I like to listen to, that's about it) and I was
      wondering if anyone here had any good links for period Scottish
      music, esp. bagpipe tunes. I know that not much is documented prior
      to 17th century, but if anyone could give me some good leads, that
      would be great.

      I've hired a piper for my ceremony & he's sent me a list of songs &
      I'm trying to find the one that's closest to period that he already
      knows.. he's working really cheap & I can't ask him to learn new
      songs....(clearly Amazing Grace is right out, grins).

      Anyone have any suggestions?
      Toujours a vos ordres,
      Margaret
    • Todd Wilkinson
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 14, 2005
        Margaret,

        I'm the "new boy" on the list, so I probably should introduce myself before jumping in, but what the heck -- one Scottish tune that I can think of that fits your description is "Hey Tuttie Tattie", to which Robert Burns set his piece, "Scots Wha Hae", or "The Bruce's Address at Bannockburn" -- from what I've read, some scholars believe that it was played by the Scots contingent in Joan of Arc's forces at Orleans, and certainly by Scottish forces in the English Civil Wars -- but don't quote me on that! <grin>

        Yours Aye,

        Todd Wilkinson

        "Happy to meet, sorry to part, happy to meet once more!"
        -- The Bon Accord, motto of Aberdeen, Scotland

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 15, 2005
          Siol Cultural Enterprises out of Nova Scotia is excellent. They are very
          personable and would be willing to talk to you. They have a web site, but you
          order by phone, or mail. I just call them up. their website is
          gaelicbooks.com

          Mise le meas,
          Shel