Re: [albanach] 12-13th century Scottish clothing.

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 25, 2005
      At 08:27 PM 1/20/05, you wrote:
      >...Doing a quick google, I found the
      >folllowing sca site, that actually has some
      >patterns on line.
      >http://www.ece.uwaterloo.ca/~arnora/arnora/costumehdbk.htm

      This site says: "Fittings: the close fit of medieval clothing is hard to
      perfect without the benefit of modern tucks and folds, etc."

      Why?

      Did their tailors have secret tricks that our modern makers of clothing
      cannot comprehend? Or is it just that we've become so used to doing things
      a certain way that we moderns have trouble seeing how they did it? ;-)

      If they could do it then, we can do it now, if we can learn how it was
      done. I'm sure there must be some research somewhere that explains the
      "tricks," since everyone who made clothing at the time would have had to
      have known them. After all, medieval women (and men) wouldn't have wanted
      to take more time than was necessary to make clothing for themselves and
      their families, even if the nobility could afford full-time clothiers.

      I'm pretty sure I've seen stuff out there on the web, but I'm still playing
      catch-up after four days away and am not sure if I have anything bookmarked.

      In Service,
      Dreiburgen Web Minister http://www.dreiburgen.org