DNA (was Re: Border reivers not Scots?)

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2004
      At 11:55 PM 11/30/04, you wrote:
      >Weeeeeeeeellll,
      >the odds of me having a spare $10,000 laying around to have my DNA
      >done are about as likely as the results being useful (other than to
      >torture my 42 yr old sister with, who always told me I was adopted,
      >but then, she also said my parents were going to name me Jethro and
      >only changed their minds at the last minute).

      The amateur genealogist has to speak up :-).

      While I have no idea about the sorts of full workups that are available,
      the DNA tests that are done for those researching family lines are
      considerably cheaper than 10 grand :-).

      http://www.familytreedna.com/

      >3. What are the costs of the tests offered by Family Tree DNA?
      >
      >Our "Maternal Match" test (using mtDNA), and our "Y-DNA" designed to match
      >males (often with the same or similar surnames) are priced, respectivelly
      >at $219 and $159. We also offer a "Y-DNA12+mtDNA" which combines both
      >tests above (and is for males who want to test and database both their
      >mothers' and fathers' lineage). The Y-DNA12+mtDNA is $319. We also offer
      >the worlds' only "Cohanim" test, which will identify those people who
      >share this set of markers with the family of the Biblical character Aaron..
      >Our newest tests Y-DNA37 ($289) and mtDNAPlus ($299) are designed to
      >tighten the time to the MRCA by offering the greatest number of markers
      >tested of any genealogical product on the market.

      Of course, since my most likely Scottish connection is through my father's
      _mother_ (a Ferguson from a line that's been in the US since at least
      1775), these won't do me much good on that account :-/.

      YiS,
      Dreiburgen Web Minister http://www.dreiburgen.org