Re: Border reivers not Scots?

  • Julie Stackable, SCA Margaret Hepburn
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 30, 2004
      Weeeeeeeeellll,
      the odds of me having a spare $10,000 laying around to have my DNA
      done are about as likely as the results being useful (other than to
      torture my 42 yr old sister with, who always told me I was adopted,
      but then, she also said my parents were going to name me Jethro and
      only changed their minds at the last minute).

      I think this is one of those things, like past life regression, that
      sound really cool theoretically.... (I've always wanted to use past
      life regression to document A&S projects....)

      Cheers,
      Margaret
      --- In albanach@yahoogroups.com, "Sharon L. Krossa" <skrossa-

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2004
        At 11:55 PM 11/30/04, you wrote:
        >Weeeeeeeeellll,
        >the odds of me having a spare $10,000 laying around to have my DNA
        >done are about as likely as the results being useful (other than to
        >torture my 42 yr old sister with, who always told me I was adopted,
        >but then, she also said my parents were going to name me Jethro and
        >only changed their minds at the last minute).

        The amateur genealogist has to speak up :-).

        While I have no idea about the sorts of full workups that are available,
        the DNA tests that are done for those researching family lines are
        considerably cheaper than 10 grand :-).

        http://www.familytreedna.com/

        >3. What are the costs of the tests offered by Family Tree DNA?
        >
        >Our "Maternal Match" test (using mtDNA), and our "Y-DNA" designed to match
        >males (often with the same or similar surnames) are priced, respectivelly
        >at $219 and $159. We also offer a "Y-DNA12+mtDNA" which combines both
        >tests above (and is for males who want to test and database both their
        >mothers' and fathers' lineage). The Y-DNA12+mtDNA is $319. We also offer
        >the worlds' only "Cohanim" test, which will identify those people who
        >share this set of markers with the family of the Biblical character Aaron..
        >Our newest tests Y-DNA37 ($289) and mtDNAPlus ($299) are designed to
        >tighten the time to the MRCA by offering the greatest number of markers
        >tested of any genealogical product on the market.

        Of course, since my most likely Scottish connection is through my father's
        _mother_ (a Ferguson from a line that's been in the US since at least
        1775), these won't do me much good on that account :-/.

        YiS,
        Dreiburgen Web Minister http://www.dreiburgen.org