Re: [albanach] my family

  • scotsfencer@aol.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 29, 2004
      My wife has been doing alot about our geneaology. give me a private reply
      with problems that youre having and what youre looking for and ill see if me or
      her can help.

      In service to coronet and crown

      Gavine Armestrang
      MKA Corey Steff
      Hospitaller
      Barony of Darkwater
      _Scotsfencer@..._ (mailto:Scotsfencer@...)
      407-760-2286

    • David
      Message 2 of 15 , May 18, 2005
        Hello everyone. I see that Matt Newsome runs the group and that Todd
        is also here. How are you guys doing? I know them from a kilt
        discussion forum. I am the VP of my local St. Andrew's Society and
        the Maryland commissioner for Clan MacLeod Society, USA, meaning I am
        the person that puts up tents for the clan at Scottish festivals and
        games. I don't portray a MacLeod in the SCA, I am one. ;-) I guess
        you can say I portray who I would have been had I been born in 1576
        instead of 1976. I try to be as period as possible, even though I do
        wear a clan tartan in my great kilt, but that is because I already
        had it before joining the SCA and saw no reason to spend money to buy
        a few yards of plaid wool from the fabric store. As for the hat,
        well some say not period others say period, but I have thin hair and
        burn easy. Skin cancer also was not period, so I wear a big floppy
        berret. :-)

        My problem is shoes. I have gone barefooted at events and also made
        a pair of pampootie type shoes and put a Dr. Schols pad in them. I
        have found that I can not wear period shoes. I know everyone says
        period shoes are uncomfortable, but for me it is more than just
        uncomfortable. I can wear them if I don't have to walk much. At the
        end of the day, my feet are swollen, badly blistered, barely able to
        walk, and I am no longer having any fun. The SCA is about having
        fun. I have to have good soles, padding, and ankle support.
        Unfortunately I have not found affordable period shoes that meet
        that. This has lead me to have to wear solid dark brown hiking boots
        to events. Does anyone have any ideas about what I can do?

        Thanks,
        David Pugh
        Message 3 of 15 , May 18, 2005
          David,
          You might try this site:
          http://www.medievalmoccasins.com/
          Some of their shoes look very period for our SCA wear, and while they are
          not as supportive as most modern shoes, they are a far cry more comfortable
          than simple cuarans (pampooties). I wear their low top moccasin in a dark
          brown leather, with an added Dr. Shoals insert, and find it very
          comfortable. If you wanted a bit more ankle support, their high top moccasin
          also looks great.
          Aye,
          Eogan (Matt in the real world) :-)

          --
          Matthew A. C. Newsome, FSA Scot
          Curator of the Scottish Tartans Museum

        • Joy L Fisher
          Message 4 of 15 , May 18, 2005
            Welcome David,

            I'm glad to see you found the group ok :)

            Matt, Sharon and many others here are wonderful resources
            and a big help :)

            Aine
            > Hello everyone. I see that Matt Newsome runs the group and that Todd
            > is also here. How are you guys doing? I know them from a kilt
            > discussion forum. I am the VP of my local St. Andrew's Society and
            > the Maryland commissioner for Clan MacLeod Society, USA, meaning I am
            > the person that puts up tents for the clan at Scottish festivals and
            > games. I don't portray a MacLeod in the SCA, I am one. ;-) I guess
            > you can say I portray who I would have been had I been born in 1576
            > instead of 1976. I try to be as period as possible, even though I do
            > wear a clan tartan in my great kilt, but that is because I already
            > had it before joining the SCA and saw no reason to spend money to buy
            > a few yards of plaid wool from the fabric store. As for the hat,
            > well some say not period others say period, but I have thin hair and
            > burn easy. Skin cancer also was not period, so I wear a big floppy
            > berret. :-)
            >
            > My problem is shoes. I have gone barefooted at events and also made
            > a pair of pampootie type shoes and put a Dr. Schols pad in them. I
            > have found that I can not wear period shoes. I know everyone says
            > period shoes are uncomfortable, but for me it is more than just
            > uncomfortable. I can wear them if I don't have to walk much. At the
            > end of the day, my feet are swollen, badly blistered, barely able to
            > walk, and I am no longer having any fun. The SCA is about having
            > fun. I have to have good soles, padding, and ankle support.
            > Unfortunately I have not found affordable period shoes that meet
            > that. This has lead me to have to wear solid dark brown hiking boots
            > to events. Does anyone have any ideas about what I can do?
            >
            > Thanks,
            > David Pugh

            > Scotland c. 503-1603 AD.
            > Yahoo! Groups Links
            >

            > ---
            >

            > --

            ---
          • David
            Message 5 of 15 , May 18, 2005
              Thanks. These look like they actually have a bit of a sole on the bottom.

              David

              --- In albanach@yahoogroups.com, "Matthew A. C. Newsome"

            • Julie Stackable, SCA Margaret Hepburn
              Message 6 of 15 , May 19, 2005
                http://www.highfiber.com/~bohemond/Bootshop/period-page/period-
                boots.htm

                This is Master Bohemond's site. If you scroll down to the Mary Rose
                style shoe, that's what I'm suggesting. I bought a pair last year,
                they have the crepe rubber soles. I am very overweight, have falling
                arches & bad knees & these are the comfiest ones I've ever had and
                they look great.

                I have widish feet at the ball of my foot so I went a size larger. You
                might want to go two sizes up to accommodate an insert. He is a very
                nice man & could probably work with you on getting shoes that fit you.

                Good luck!