RE: Clan Tartans

  • StarGazer
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 19, 2004
      When I was on holiday in Scotland we visited the Macleod clan center (Dunvegan Castle) and the MacDonald clan center (Armadale Castle) on the island of Skye.

      Both centers has a large collection of tartans both modern and ancient which were associated with the particular clan. The oldest tartan they had was from 1650, a Macleod of Rassay wedding tartan.

      Because my family is a sept of the MacDonalds, we were lucky enough to be given a private tour of the center and the gardens by a member of the Clan Cheiftain's family. I asked what the proper etiquitte for wearing a clan was - and his answer iwas that technically if you can document that your family is a member of the clan or of a clan sept you are entitled to wear the colors of the clan. And you can be a member of more than one clan, as some consider matrilineal descent (the Macleods are one - they even have had three female cheiftains one in the 20th century, one in the 17th century and one in the 16th century)

      Stephanie

      The Tartan Authority has some wonderful information on tartans
      http://www.tartansauthority.com/web/site/home/home.asp