Re: reading recommendations?

  • Julie Stackable, SCA Margaret Hepburn
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 6, 2004
      Dear Victoria,
      Sorry it took me so long to repost - my husband was deployed & just
      got back (just stateside, no worries.).
      Umm, I'm not sure what to tell you about Glasgow in earlier period,
      like I said most of my research centers on 1570's. One of the books
      I recently got through interlibrary loan was Glasgow by Elizabeth
      Williamson, Anne Riches and Malcolm Higgs. It's part of the
      Buildings of Scotland series, published in 1990 by penguin books -
      I can't find an ISBN number in it anywhere. But, it goes over the
      settlement of Glasgow from earliest times, covers all the buildings
      & monuments etc. and has maps, talks about the streets etc. when
      they were built. A lot of the concentration is on the Victorian
      buildings, but there is a lot of information.

      Next is the name book - The Surnames of Scotland by George Fraser
      Black. Originally published in 1946, I have a 1996 reprint. You can
      most likely get this through Amazon, but you might ask your local
      heralds - it's a major resource for Scottish names and they might
      have it, you can most likely also get it through interlibrary loan.
      The Scottish Clan and family book I have is 'Scottish Clan and
      Family Names: Their Arms, Origins and Tartans' by Roddy Martine.
      This book has an excellent map done by the current Lord Lyon King of
      Arms showing the placement of families all over Scotland and has
      clear, crisp depictions of the heraldry. He used George Black as
      his major source for name info and this book has less of a tendency
      for apocryphal stories than a lot of the 'clan tartan' books do. I
      mention this one because it is still in print and not hideously
      expensive, so you can probably get it through ILL easily.

      There are several good books out there that are general histories of
      Scotland, there's a newish out by Fitzroy McLean. They will usually
      cover early settlement of the cities - plus, the bibliographies
      often give you a good place for more specific books.

      Hope that is some help - good luck with names & personas & research.
      Margaret Hepburn
      --- In albanach@yahoogroups.com, Victoria <kaphagirl@e...> wrote:
      > Hi there! I was wondering if you could make some recommendations
      of
      > things I may like to look for at the library? Specifically
      pertaining
      > to Glasgow during our period, family names, etc. For one
      thing,
      > could you tell me more about the resources you mentioned before
      > (author, title, publisher)? Thanks so much.
      >
      > Victoria
    • Victoria
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 8, 2004
        Thank you.
        I got a reply from one of our heralds and he said that Ilene Pratt would be fine, as
        long as no one else registers it before I have a chance to do the paperwork.

        I have been able to make some progress on my wardrobe as well. Once I had a name,
        that narrowed down my time period. So knowing that the time is considered Tudor,
        that helps a lot in looking for portraits and clothing references.

        I guess me next question is if you can recommend recordings of music from our
        period?

        Victoria