reading recommendations?

  • Victoria
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 26 5:40 PM
      Hi there! I was wondering if you could make some recommendations of
      things I may like to look for at the library? Specifically pertaining
      to Glasgow during our period, family names, etc. For one thing,
      could you tell me more about the resources you mentioned before
      (author, title, publisher)? Thanks so much.

      Victoria
    • Julie Stackable, SCA Margaret Hepburn
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 6, 2004
        Dear Victoria,
        Sorry it took me so long to repost - my husband was deployed & just
        got back (just stateside, no worries.).
        Umm, I'm not sure what to tell you about Glasgow in earlier period,
        like I said most of my research centers on 1570's. One of the books
        I recently got through interlibrary loan was Glasgow by Elizabeth
        Williamson, Anne Riches and Malcolm Higgs. It's part of the
        Buildings of Scotland series, published in 1990 by penguin books -
        I can't find an ISBN number in it anywhere. But, it goes over the
        settlement of Glasgow from earliest times, covers all the buildings
        & monuments etc. and has maps, talks about the streets etc. when
        they were built. A lot of the concentration is on the Victorian
        buildings, but there is a lot of information.

        Next is the name book - The Surnames of Scotland by George Fraser
        Black. Originally published in 1946, I have a 1996 reprint. You can
        most likely get this through Amazon, but you might ask your local
        heralds - it's a major resource for Scottish names and they might
        have it, you can most likely also get it through interlibrary loan.
        The Scottish Clan and family book I have is 'Scottish Clan and
        Family Names: Their Arms, Origins and Tartans' by Roddy Martine.
        This book has an excellent map done by the current Lord Lyon King of
        Arms showing the placement of families all over Scotland and has
        clear, crisp depictions of the heraldry. He used George Black as
        his major source for name info and this book has less of a tendency
        for apocryphal stories than a lot of the 'clan tartan' books do. I
        mention this one because it is still in print and not hideously
        expensive, so you can probably get it through ILL easily.

        There are several good books out there that are general histories of
        Scotland, there's a newish out by Fitzroy McLean. They will usually
        cover early settlement of the cities - plus, the bibliographies
        often give you a good place for more specific books.

        Hope that is some help - good luck with names & personas & research.
        Margaret Hepburn
        --- In albanach@yahoogroups.com, Victoria <kaphagirl@e...> wrote:
        > Hi there! I was wondering if you could make some recommendations
        of
        > things I may like to look for at the library? Specifically
        pertaining
        > to Glasgow during our period, family names, etc. For one
        thing,
        > could you tell me more about the resources you mentioned before
        > (author, title, publisher)? Thanks so much.
        >
        > Victoria
      • Victoria
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 8, 2004
          Thank you.
          I got a reply from one of our heralds and he said that Ilene Pratt would be fine, as
          long as no one else registers it before I have a chance to do the paperwork.

          I have been able to make some progress on my wardrobe as well. Once I had a name,
          that narrowed down my time period. So knowing that the time is considered Tudor,
          that helps a lot in looking for portraits and clothing references.

          I guess me next question is if you can recommend recordings of music from our
          period?

          Victoria