Lughnassadh & Highland Games Festival in Houston, Texas

  • Scott McDonald
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 11, 2004
      In case anyone in the Houston-area is interested...

      SUNDAY, AUGUST 29
      MERIDIAN

      PRESENTS-
      The Return of the Celtic Festival Series
      Lughnassadh
      The Celtic Harvest Festival
      And Highland Games Competition

      PLACE: Meridian, 1503 Chartres, Houston, Texas 77003, 713-225-1717
      www.meridianhouston.com
      The north-bound Feeder of 59, between Leeland and Bell, across the freeway from the Convention Center
      TIME: Doors 4 PM
      ADMISSION: $8 In Advance, $12 at the Door
      Available at the Meridian Box Office 713.225.1717

      PERFORMANCES BY:
      Beth Patterson (formerly of The Poor Clares) & Kalafka
      The Churn (featuring Mitch Lawyer of the Flying Fish Sailors and Scott Washburn of ZuZu's Petals)
      The McTeggart Irish Dancers
      The Blaggards (featuring Patrick Devlin)
      Godfrey's Rangers
      The Bayou City Pipes and Drums

      HIGHLAND GAMES EVENTS
      The Highland Games at the Celtic Harvest Festival will be sanctioned by the North American Scottish Games Association (N. A. S. G. A.). The events will be: Stone Throw, 56 lb. Stone Throw, 28 lb. Stone Throw, 22 lb. Hammer Throw, Caber Toss, Sheaf Toss, and 56 lb. Weight Throw for Height. Games begin at 10:00 am. Anyone is welcome to compete and can email games@... to sign up. Overall First Place will receive a two handled glass trophy mug. Winners in individual events will receive frameable Certificates. This is a sanctioned competition.

      ABOUT THE CELTIC FESTIVAL SERIES
      After a long wait by devoted fans, the creators and producers of the original Celtic Festival Series have finally revived the unique and popular Houston event tradition with Lughnassadh: The Celtic Harvest Festival. The Celtic Festival Series was created by Bob Fuldauer and Michael Martin at the now defunct GARDEN in the HEIGHTS with the first Celtic New Year Festival on Hallowe'en 1995. The events are set to coincide with dates on the ancient Celtic calendar as a way to present this lively and beautiful culture in a format to appeal both to lovers of Celtic tradition and those new to Celtic music, dance and art. Audiences enjoy performances by today's top Celtic acts, local and national, from the purely traditional to the cutting edge of Celtic Rock with traditional Celtic dance; from country dances to the wildly popular Irish step dancing of "Riverdance" fame. During the festival patrons can enjoy traditional Celtic foods such as Shepherd's Pie, Haggis, and Colcannon (along with
      such "modern" festival fare as turkey legs and hot dogs). The "market fair" atmosphere of the Celtic festivals is recreated by craft vendors from across the country who offer unique Celtic wares, clothing, music, and literature.

      The Festivals have been on hiatus since the loss of GARDEN in the HEIGHTS in August of 2002 (the Celtic Christmas that year was held at City Limits) and there has been a general decline in Celtic entertainment in Houston since. With Lughnassadh: The Celtic Harvest Festival, Fuldauer and Martin hope to restore the tradition to long-time fans and bring these great artists and magnificent culture to new audiences. They realize that moving the series to their new concert, private party and special events venue, Meridian will be a challenge, as people had fond memories of their former home.

      GARDEN in the HEIGHTS is gone, however and its time for a new era of tradition to begin for Celtic entertainment in Houston. The Highland Games will be held in the adjacent lot at Chartres and Bell, while the entertainment and vendors will be upstairs in the club. There may be fewer trees, but there is more indoor, air-conditioned space (and more bathrooms). Those familiar with the festivals' history, will be glad to know that rain will no longer be a factor.

      Check the website for updates at www.meridianhouston.com

      Help us get the word out about the long awaited return of the Celtic Festivals by forwarding this email so we insure the new life of these festivals and make them better than ever. We need your help!

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 11, 2004
        At 06:00 AM 8/11/04, you wrote:
        >In case anyone in the Houston-area is interested...
        >
        >SUNDAY, AUGUST 29
        >MERIDIAN
        >
        >PRESENTS-
        >The Return of the Celtic Festival Series
        >Lughnassadh
        >The Celtic Harvest Festival
        >And Highland Games Competition

        Just out of curiosity, why are they calling it Lughnassadh when they're
        having it almost a month after Lughnassadh? ;-)

        Bright Blessings,
        Dreiburgen Web Minister http://www.dreiburgen.org
      • Laura McCullough
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 12, 2006
          Greetings good gentles!

          I am Elianora de la Woderose, and I am new to your list. My husband is
          in the process of developing his persona, name, arms, etc., and I was
          very pleased to find this group!
          So far, his persona is a 13th c. man of Gaelic heritage living in the
          area of Falkirk, named Faelan mac To Be Determined. :) I have him
          wearing basic t-tunics with varying decoration, some with short
          standing collars, and basic loose-fitting pants.
          Any advice, ideas, suggestions, admonitions, or comments are gladly
          welcomed!
          With pre-emptive thanks,

          Elianora
        • Morgiana Cheyney
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 18, 2006
            --- In albanach@yahoogroups.com, "Laura McCullough" <wolfflow14@...>
            wrote:

            > Greetings good gentles!
            >
            > I am Elianora de la Woderose, and I am new to your list. My husband
            is
            > in the process of developing his persona, name, arms, etc., and I was
            > very pleased to find this group!
            > So far, his persona is a 13th c. man of Gaelic heritage living in the
            > area of Falkirk, named Faelan mac To Be Determined. :) I have him
            > wearing basic t-tunics with varying decoration, some with short
            > standing collars, and basic loose-fitting pants.
            > Any advice, ideas, suggestions, admonitions, or comments are gladly
            > welcomed!
            > With pre-emptive thanks,
            >
            > Elianora

            Hello! I appologise for taking so long to respond, I haven't been on
            the lists for a few days. My husband is also an Irishman, albeit a 14th
            Century one. I don't know how much help I can be, but if you have
            specific questions you are welcome to contact me and I'll be more than
            happy to try and help.

            Morgi