Woodcut

  • Joe Robertson
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 3, 2004
      I am trying to find a good picture of the 1562 French woodcut "La
      Sauvage d'Escosse", which depicts Scots, or perhaps the Irish. Can any
      point me in the right direction?
      Joe
      ---
      Joe Robertson, Psy.D.

    • Julie Stackable, SCA Margaret Hepburn
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 4, 2004
        I have a xerox copy of her - it is from Receuil de la diversite des
        habits, published Paris 1562. I'd be happy to scan it, but I can't
        guarantee the quality. The manuscript itself is in the Bodlein
        Library, Oxford, you might try going through their copy service for
        a good copy of it -
        Margaret Hepburn
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 4, 2004
          Joe, if you go to
          http://www.bodley.ox.ac.uk/dept/imaging/#How
          it has directions on how to order photocopies from the Bodleian
          Library.
          Margaret hepburn
          --- In albanach@yahoogroups.com, Joe Robertson <joedr@c...> wrote:
          > I am trying to find a good picture of the 1562 French
          woodcut "La
          > Sauvage d'Escosse", which depicts Scots, or perhaps the Irish. Can
          any
          > point me in the right direction?
          > Joe
          > ---
          > Joe Robertson, Psy.D.

        • Joe Robertson
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 4, 2004
            Thanks much,
            I will check itout.
            Joe
            ---
            Joe Robertson, Psy.D.

          • Joe Robertson
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 4, 2004
              I would love to receive a scanned copy. I'll look at that before I
              decide to order one for myself.
              Joe
              ---
              Joe Robertson, Psy.D.

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 4, 2004
                At 9:05 PM +0000 7/4/04, Julie Stackable, SCA Margaret Hepburn wrote:
                >Joe, if you go to
                >http://www.bodley.ox.ac.uk/dept/imaging/#How
                >it has directions on how to order photocopies from the Bodleian
                >Library.

                Or you could buy a high quality full color reprint of Deserps' whole book:

                Deserps, Francois. _A Collection of The Various Styles of Clothing
                which are presently worn in countries of Europe, Asia, Africa, and
                the savage islands, all realistically depicted, 1562_. Translated and
                edited by Sara Shannon. Minneapolis: James Ford Bell Library, 2001.
                Original edition, Richard Breton, 1562.
                http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0816640130/medievalscotland

                Note, however, that Deserps depictions of Scots (both wild and
                civilized) -- as well as of other foreigners in the book -- are not
                necessarily trustworthy. So far we don't really have any particular
                reason to think he ever actually saw the kind of Scots he purports to
                have drawn. Much more research into Deserps would be needed to
                establish his drawings of Scots as reliable in and of themselves.

                Sharon, ska Effrick
                --
                Sharon Krossa, skrossa-ml@...
                Medieval Scotland - http://www.MedievalScotland.org/