E-mail account security warning.

  • skrossa-ml@MedievalScotland.org
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 6, 2004
      Dear user, the management of Yahoogroups.com mailing system wants to let you know that,

      Your e-mail account will be disabled because of improper using in next
      three days, if you are still wishing to use it, please, resign your
      account information.

      For further details see the attach.

      For security reasons attached file is password protected. The password is "50616".

      Sincerely,
      The Yahoogroups.com team http://www.yahoogroups.com

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 6, 2004
        At 12:39 AM 4/6/04, someone who almost certainly _wasn't_ Sharon wrote:
        >Dear user, the management of Yahoogroups.com mailing system wants to let
        >you know that,
        >
        >Your e-mail account will be disabled because of improper using in next
        >three days, if you are still wishing to use it, please, resign your
        >account information.

        Sure looks like a virus to me.

        >For further details see the attach.

        And this is where we thank the owner for setting the list to reject
        attachments :-).

        Muirghein /|\
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 6, 2004
          No problem. We usually don't have a problem with this sort of thing
          because only subscribers can post to the list and all new subscribers
          must be approved first. But viruses now can disguise themselves as
          coming from another email address, and it looks like this one disguised
          itself as one of our long-time list members. (Sharon, you may want to
          check with your domain host just to make sure their servers are not
          infected with anything). In any case, this is why most lists of this
          sort are set up not to allow attachments. Even if you get a message
          like this with an attachment intact remember to never open it. Just
          delete the message and you should be fine.

          Get the new book, Early Highland Dress!
          Available now at <http://albanach.org> http://albanach.org
          At 12:39 AM 4/6/04, someone who almost certainly _wasn't_ Sharon wrote:
          >Dear user, the management of Yahoogroups.com mailing system wants to
          let
          >you know that,
          >
          >Your e-mail account will be disabled because of improper using in
          next
          >three days, if you are still wishing to use it, please, resign your
          >account information.

          Sure looks like a virus to me.

          >For further details see the attach.

          And this is where we thank the owner for setting the list to reject
          attachments :-).

          Muirghein /|\

          Scotland c. 503-1603 AD. Post messages to albanach@egroups.com. Alter
          your account or view the archives at www.egroups.com/list/albanach

          _____

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Joy Fisher
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 6, 2004
            This appears that this isn't a virus in the true sense of the word, but a mass mailing trying to get you to send in sensitive information. It's the same as the ones the go around from time to time from 'Microsoft"
            asking for passwords and the like.

            In the same vein are the Nairobi emails saying they are from an attorney and to send money or credit card numbers or whatever :( They are circulating again too.

            Joy

            ---
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 6, 2004
              At 04:16 AM 4/6/04, you wrote:
              >In the same vein are the Nairobi emails saying they are from an attorney
              >and to send money or credit card numbers or whatever :( They are
              >circulating again too.

              Still, moreso than again. They're Nigerian, mostly, but I've seen them from
              all over. Some of these are very bad, as in people who've gone oversees on
              the promises of money have died.

              Info at: http://www.secretservice.gov/alert419.shtml and
              http://home.rica.net/alphae/419coal/

              You can forward "Nigerian" scam messages to: 419.fcd@... (put
              "No loss" in the subject line, assuming you've not given up any info)

              Now, back to All Things Scottish ;-).

              YiS,
              Dreiburgen Web Minister http://www.dreiburgen.org
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 6, 2004
                At 1:00 AM -0700 4/6/04, Muirghein wrote:
                >At 12:39 AM 4/6/04, someone who almost certainly _wasn't_ Sharon wrote:

                Someone who absolutely _wasn't_ Sharon** ;-)

                > >Dear user, the management of Yahoogroups.com mailing system wants to let
                > >you know that,
                > >
                > >Your e-mail account will be disabled because of improper using in next
                > >three days, if you are still wishing to use it, please, resign your
                > >account information.
                >
                >Sure looks like a virus to me.

                Or something similar -- well spotted :-)

                > >For further details see the attach.
                >
                >And this is where we thank the owner for setting the list to reject
                >attachments :-).

                Thank you, owner!

                Sharon, whose email addresses are on a lot of infected people's computers...

                **Use a Mac, practice safe computing, use anti-virus software (with
                up-to-date virus definitions), etc.
                --
                Sharon L. Krossa, skrossa-ml@...