RE: [albanach] Re: new to the list

    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 25, 2004
      Brian,

      You are partially correct, and a lot depends on how you define the word
      "kilt." The feileadh-mhor, or belted plaid (aka "great kilt") can be
      positively dated back to 1594 AD from a description of Scottish
      Hebridean soldiers in the Life of Red Hugh O'Donnell. The belted plaid
      can be said to be the grandfather of our modern kilt, and this is the
      only form that falls within SCA period (pre-1600). It was the dominant
      form of male Highland dress throughout the seventeenth century. The
      transition between feilieadh-mhor to feilieadh-beag ("little wrap,"
      basically the lower half of the belted plaid) took place sometime
      between the late seventeenth and the mid-eighteenth century, depending
      on your interpretation of the available evidence. The feileadh-beag can
      be called the father of the kilt. The true tailored kilt (with pleats
      sewn down) was developed from the feilieadh-beag in the last decade of
      the eighteenth century.

      This is a very truncated timeline, of course. If you want more
      information, check out my book (link below).

      Get the new book, Early Highland Dress!
      Available now at <http://albanach.org> http://albanach.org