Name

  • Brian McDaniel
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 11, 2004
      Could someone help me and spell out how to pronounce this name?

      Máelán

      I believe it is MAL-un, but I'm not sure. I did find a name very
      similar in spelling that was pronounced MAH-lon. I suck at
      pronunciation, always hated english class, so you can guarantee I'm
      not good with gaelic!
    • Brian McDaniel
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 11, 2004
        Could someone help me and spell out how to pronounce this name?

        Máelán

        I believe it is MAL-un, but I'm not sure. I did find a name very
        similar in spelling that was pronounced MAH-lon. I suck at
        pronunciation, always hated english class, so you can guarantee I'm
        not good with gaelic!

        The site with this was found through The Academy of St. Gabriel.
        It's listed as both being scottish and old irish, yet I have no clue
        how to say it. If it is as I think it is, it's the name I'll choose.

        http://www.s-gabriel.org/names/tangwystyl/ogham/

        Thanks!
      • David Reynolds
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 12, 2004
          --- In albanach@yahoogroups.com, "Brian McDaniel" <bmcdaniel5@y...>
          wrote:
          > Could someone help me and spell out how to pronounce this name?
          >
          > Máelán

          In Old Irish, it should be "MOY-lawn" (rhymes with "boy lawn", but
          with a hint of ska 'Oy!'), per my favorite OI site:
          http://www.geocities.com/patrickbrown40/pron.htm

          The word is listed on St. Gabriel's as Old Irish so I'm not sure a
          modern Scottish pronunciation would help you. Modern Scottish Gaelic
          doesn't even have an official a-acute anymore, so...

          What time period are you looking at?

          Regards,
          Raibeart/David