Re: [albanach] Name questions

  • Nancy Zupanic
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 11, 2004
      Greetings Other Muirgheal!

      > Only
      > problem is I have no idea how to pronounce my name in true Gaelic fashion.

      I've been given three different pronounciations.

      St. Gabriel's writes that it is roughly MOOR-awl.
      A friend gives me a similar pronounciation, with rolling 'R' - it's
      difficult to say.
      Sharon Krossa writes that the name is pronounced \MOOR-yell.

      They are all pretty similar, but I tend to go with what Sharon says after so
      many years of benefiting from her knowledge of things Gaelic. I've been
      called Morel since the day I first attended an event, and \MOOR-yell is the
      closest pronounciation to that (somewhat documentable) nickname.

      Muirgheal/Morel
      ps - "Somewhat documentable" means that it is documentable as an English
      masculine name.