Re: [albanach] Fencing Clothing (was: simplicity 8855)

  • scotsfencer@aol.com
    Message 1 of 34 , Dec 4, 2003
      In a message dated 12/3/2003 10:33:49 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      Dblackthistle8@... writes:

      > keeping in mind that "Hollywood" is the last thing known as authentic,
      > isn't
      > there a rapier duel towards the end of Rob Roy with Liam Neeson in kilt ???
      > would be very interested in anything anyone has to offer regarding
      > authenticity of this as my son is a fencer and also would love to wear his
      > kilt while
      > fencing.........

      I saw a copy of Rob Roy (the Liam Neeson one) @ blockbuster the other day...
      and I think after reading it that it is OOP... although i may have just gotten
      the impression from the pic of Liam on the covering holding double pistols

    • scotsfencer@aol.com
      Message 34 of 34 , Dec 5, 2003
        In a message dated 12/4/2003 5:34:37 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        skrossa-ml@... writes:

        > Sorry, but that's rude. The SCA clothing requirement for
        > participation in events is "an attempt at pre-17th century clothing"
        > -- no success required (let alone requirements that clothing match
        > activities with regard to historical authenticity). To offer
        > unsolicited negative comments on someone else's clothing in the SCA
        > (or anywhere else) is just plain rude. And every time someone engages
        > in such rude behaviour using the excuse of authenticity, people such
        > as myself who advocate authenticity get blamed and accused of being
        > "authenticity police" (or worse) despite not behaving in such a rude
        > manner and, indeed, condemning those who do.
        >
        > Sharon, ska Effrick

        Sharon,

        I apologise if I came accross as rude. MOST DEFINITELY not my intention. I
        fully respect any attempt at pre-17th C. garb. lord knows I dont have the best
        garb in the world, what I have makes do. My only response would be that I didnt
        know that blue jeans was pre-17th..... attempt or not. Honestly im gutless
        and have not ever and probably will never say anything deragatory about
        someone's clothes. Im just now getting to where I have enough garb and guts to offer
        them some loaner's in case they forgot theirs.
        One another subject, Sharon could you please contact me off list for some
        name help for someone in my local group. I dont think part of it is right, but I
        dont know how to make it right. Thanks

        Service with a smile,

        Gavine/Corey