Re: [albanach] Scottish Fencing (was: Fencing Clothing (was: simplicity 8855)

  • scotsfencer@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 4, 2003
      In a message dated 12/3/2003 8:00:06 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      bearpaws@... writes:

      > Having read this, I've put out a post on our Kingdom rapier list asking
      > when
      > and if fencing showed up in Scotland.

      My lady if I may beg... if you DOOOOOO happen to find out when fencing made
      it to scotland, please pass the info on to me. I have tried to find it and have
      as-so-far run against a wall.

      Appreciated,

      Gavine

    • Nancy Zupanic
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 4, 2003
        Gavine wrote:
        > My lady if I may beg... if you DOOOOOO happen to find out when fencing
        made
        > it to scotland, please pass the info on to me. I have tried to find it and
        have
        > as-so-far run against a wall.

        Anything I find out, I'll be more than happy to share. So far, all I have
        is the quote in my post last night, which is a charge for a repair to a
        rapier in 1505. Considering that rapier first made its appearance only
        around 35 years earlier, that is fairly early. There is also an inventory
        of finds in Scotland which includes rapiers but I can't find any dates (I
        may not have looked hard enough last night). This inventory is listed at:
        http://users.quista.net/dgnhas/Index/Alpha%20Index/H.htm

        The quote mentioned is found in a short article at:
        http://home.austin.rr.com/moondragon/RapierSCA.html.

        I've only heard from two people so far, and hope to hear from more. Some of
        these guys on my rapier list have some pretty good resources. As I hear
        more, I'll be certain to pass it along to the list, and you'll do the same?
        (please!)

        Muirgheal