Re: [albanach] Re: simplicity 8855

  • Stuart Joseph
    Message 1 of 34 , Dec 3, 2003
      Nancy,

      Nancy Zupanic wrote:

      > I realize this, which is why I was looking for information on what a
      > Lowlander in the 1500's would be wearing. Rapier began around 1470, but
      > even if I moved my main persona up 160 years, she still wouldn't have
      > fought
      > rapier. I do wish that all the pieces fit together, but they never will.
      >
      > I can't fight in my persona (Muirgheal inghean Labhrain - 1310), so
      > have had
      > to create an alternate persona (Morel Laurens - 1500s). I know what
      > Muirgheal would wear, but have no idea what Morel would wear, though it
      > would be pants rather than a skirt/dress.
      >
      > I could do what all the other fighters do and wear a puffy shirt and
      > doublet. Okay, I *do* do what all the other rapier fighters do and wear a
      > puffy shirt and doublet. But, I want to be distinctly Scottish on the
      > field, even though I can't be my usual 14th c. Highland lass.

      Wear a tartan doublet, tartan trews, and/or a tartan plaid. The trews
      are similar to cut hose and there are instructions for making them, I
      don't recall where, but an online search might work. The plaid should be
      about 3 yards long and double width, but you can play with the size of
      it if you wish.

      If you want to make anything distinctly Scottish make it out of tartan,
      it is what the Scots did themselves.

      --
      The Great Scot, Magician http://www.greatscotmagic.com
      Historic & Multi-epoch Entertainer
      Message 34 of 34 , Dec 5, 2003
        In a message dated 12/4/2003 5:34:37 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        skrossa-ml@... writes:

        > Sorry, but that's rude. The SCA clothing requirement for
        > participation in events is "an attempt at pre-17th century clothing"
        > -- no success required (let alone requirements that clothing match
        > activities with regard to historical authenticity). To offer
        > unsolicited negative comments on someone else's clothing in the SCA
        > (or anywhere else) is just plain rude. And every time someone engages
        > in such rude behaviour using the excuse of authenticity, people such
        > as myself who advocate authenticity get blamed and accused of being
        > "authenticity police" (or worse) despite not behaving in such a rude
        > manner and, indeed, condemning those who do.
        >
        > Sharon, ska Effrick

        Sharon,

        I apologise if I came accross as rude. MOST DEFINITELY not my intention. I
        fully respect any attempt at pre-17th C. garb. lord knows I dont have the best
        garb in the world, what I have makes do. My only response would be that I didnt
        know that blue jeans was pre-17th..... attempt or not. Honestly im gutless
        and have not ever and probably will never say anything deragatory about
        someone's clothes. Im just now getting to where I have enough garb and guts to offer
        them some loaner's in case they forgot theirs.
        One another subject, Sharon could you please contact me off list for some
        name help for someone in my local group. I dont think part of it is right, but I
        dont know how to make it right. Thanks

        Service with a smile,

        Gavine/Corey