simplicity 8855

  • Julie Stackable
    Message 1 of 34 , Dec 1, 2003
      > <ehagmaie@k...> wrote:
      > > Just curious is this pattern (simplicity
      8855)even remotly
      > accurate for garb?
      > > Particlary late 1200's highlands.
      > >
      > > Thanks
      > > Erin
      Dear Erin, The short answer is absolutely not.
      The long answer: This is a later period pseudo
      version of 'Highland Garb'. Tight, laced bodices
      that are separate from the skirt are distinctly
      late period, as in 1550's onwards. The blouse
      they are giving here is sort of a hybrid of a
      couple of later styles, also not good for the
      13th century. I'm not even going to comment on
      the hat or the hairstyle as I think we are
      supposed to refrain from profanity on this list
      (Erin, that comment is not directed at you - you
      are asking an honest question - the mass marketed
      pattern companies have been committing some
      heinous costume crimes that 15 minutes with a
      decent encyclopedia could correct).
      For 13th century Highland garb, you would be
      looking at basically what most of the Western
      half of Europe was wearing - a T-tunic, for lack
      of a better descriptive name, with a full, gored
      skirt. Your chemise would be of the same cut,
      tighter fitting. You might have an overdress of
      the same cut, possibly sleeveless, possibly with
      a shorter hem, showing off the underdress (this
      is a very brief, generic explanation of what you
      might wear). Both Sharon Krossa's website and
      Kass McGann's have lots of info on what's proper
      for the period you are interested in as well as
      the location. Now, having said that - it also
      depends on where & why you are going to wear this
      costume. Personally, I would say don't at all,
      but that's just me. For a Highland Games or a
      non-court SCA event, (believe me, I've seen worse
      at both), it would be okay I guess. But bear in
      mind, a) it's meant to be a representation of
      later period clothing, not early and b) very
      little of it is documentable for anybody at any
      time, they have used a general shape to give a
      general impression - it is a costume, not garb in
      any remote sense. You obviously have access to
      the internet and there is a wealth of info out
      there on 13th cent. clothing. There is a fairly
      new book out, The Medieval Tailor's Assistant,
      that has some really good info for constructing
      really period looking clothing. Not plugging
      anybody, but I know Chivalry Sports carries it
      (and yes, they commit many heinous crimes against
      costume...), but you can probably get it through
      Amazon at this point. If you are not ready to
      commit to spending 40$ on a book, you might ask
      around your local area to see if anyone has it &
      might be willing to loan it.

      I hope this helped, you can email me direct if
      you want some more basic info or need some addy's
      to research some stuff - but I will warn you I do
      almost exclusively 1570's Lowland costume.

      Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
      http://companion.yahoo.com/
    • scotsfencer@aol.com
      Message 34 of 34 , Dec 5, 2003
        In a message dated 12/4/2003 5:34:37 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        skrossa-ml@... writes:

        > Sorry, but that's rude. The SCA clothing requirement for
        > participation in events is "an attempt at pre-17th century clothing"
        > -- no success required (let alone requirements that clothing match
        > activities with regard to historical authenticity). To offer
        > unsolicited negative comments on someone else's clothing in the SCA
        > (or anywhere else) is just plain rude. And every time someone engages
        > in such rude behaviour using the excuse of authenticity, people such
        > as myself who advocate authenticity get blamed and accused of being
        > "authenticity police" (or worse) despite not behaving in such a rude
        > manner and, indeed, condemning those who do.
        >
        > Sharon, ska Effrick

        Sharon,

        I apologise if I came accross as rude. MOST DEFINITELY not my intention. I
        fully respect any attempt at pre-17th C. garb. lord knows I dont have the best
        garb in the world, what I have makes do. My only response would be that I didnt
        know that blue jeans was pre-17th..... attempt or not. Honestly im gutless
        and have not ever and probably will never say anything deragatory about
        someone's clothes. Im just now getting to where I have enough garb and guts to offer
        them some loaner's in case they forgot theirs.
        One another subject, Sharon could you please contact me off list for some
        name help for someone in my local group. I dont think part of it is right, but I
        dont know how to make it right. Thanks

        Service with a smile,

        Gavine/Corey