[albanach] 14th century clothing

  • EoganOg@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 14, 1999
      Eilidh asked about 14th century clothing. Any kind of information on Gaelic
      clothing from that time period is notoriously hard to come by, and a good idea
      is to extrapolate from what the Irish Gaels were wearing during that period.
      But I have found one website on the Clothing of the Ancient Celts web pages
      that gives a pattern for a shirt found in a Sutherland dig that is tentatively
      dated to the 14th century. Those of you who took my class at this past
      University already have this, but for those of you who did not, here is the
      URL.
      http://www47.pair.com/lindo/Rogart.htm

      Aye,
      Eo

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/albanach
    • Catherine Dushak
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 15, 1999
        Hello all. I feel impelled to introduce myself as well, as I've just
        recently joined this group. My name is Moira of Guthrie and I've
        taken on the persona of a 14th century Scottish lass as well. I
        started my participation in the SCA about two and a half years ago in
        the kingdom of Atlantia where I befriended the Ogs among many others,
        began my life long persuit of the arts and dancing, and started my
        interest in Scottish history. I am also attempting to broaden my
        wardrobe and recreate Scottish garb. Thanks for the web site, Eogan.
        Just a couple of questions that have been troubling me for some time.
        One: what materials were commonly used for Scottish clothing in the
        Middle ages other than wool? Two: what hats or hair pieces existed
        for Scottish ladies? Any and all answers are appreciated. Faire thee
        well.

        ===
        Aye, Moira Guthrie,
        Cassie Dushak

        Work like you don't need money.
        Love like you've never been hurt.
        Dance like noone is watching.

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 15, 1999
          In a message dated 3/15/99 10:44:12 AM Eastern Standard Time,
          moira1@... writes:

          > One: what materials were commonly used for Scottish clothing in the
          > Middle ages other than wool?

          Overwhelmingly, the choice for fabrics was wool and linen. Both were readily
          available and both contained natural oils that made them particularly water
          resistant. There also seemed to be frequent use of wool/linen blends, if I
          remember right.

          My reason for saying this stems from H. F. McClintock's _Old Irish & Highland
          Dress_, listing of 16th century inventories mentioning the cloth, readings of
          archaological finds in Elizabeth Ewans, _Townlife in 14th Century Scotland_,
          and extrapolation from my studies of 18th century weaving firms.

          I can give oyu more details later.

          > Two: what hats or hair pieces existed
          > for Scottish ladies?

          In the 14th century--I don't know. I'll see what I can find. 16th century
          women seemed to wear a fairly neat looking wrap around their heads after
          marraige. Ooo, I wish I didn't leave all my resources at work! I seem to
          remember it looking rather like a small turbin..... I have never seen it
          actually worn, only in drawings. I'll have to get back to you on this.

          Does anyone know what I am referring to or can describe how it was worn?

        • EilidhOg@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 15, 1999
            During a recent class I took at a university on costuming we adressed the
            topic of proper headwear for women. The most common thing worn was a piece of
            cloth roughly 22" wide and at least twice as long that was draped over the
            head much like Indian women wear them today. Basically what you do is put the
            center of the fabric on your head, form a kind of pleat in the fabric so that
            it'll lay down flat against your head and face, and then wrap the ends
            underneath your chin and then back over your shoulder. This would be
            appropriate, I believe, for Scottish women in our period, especially for the
            non-royalty.

            Aye,
            Eilidh

            eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/albanach